Sound Problem with Orion2.exe

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Torazo
Sound Problem with Orion2.exe

Postby Torazo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:18 am

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the support or bugs section because it could be either one... I chose to put it in support because I thought people might end up telling me I should have put it here.

I installed the game and noticed it crashed a lot and had a lot of mouse problems in certain areas of the game, so I looked up some mods. I happened to find a 1.40 unofficial patch and decided to download that. The crashes and mouse problems ceased to exist once I put it in place and used it, but the sound stuttered every time I ran the game.

I tried using DosBox, but I found out that I couldn't use it to run Orion2v140. I also tried VDMSound because some people found that as a solution to the original installation of the game, but it didn't work for me with Orion2.exe.

Also, when I ran the game using DosBox, I noticed that my mouse had some speed issues... It was going slow horizontally and it was going its' normal speed vertically... I have no idea as to what would cause this. Maybe it is my mouse. I can click a button on my mouse to change it from 100dps, 200dps, 400dps and 800dps, but I highly doubt it is the mouse because the speed changed each time I tried it after changing it.

Short terms... Orion95.exe = No Sound Problems, A fair bit of game crashes, mouse stutters in certain locations of the game. (There is a mod that fixes the mouse stutters, yea, but this isn't about that)

Orion2.exe has sound issues. It stutters all over the place regardless of it loading 1.31 or 1.40.

If it is possible to start Orion2v140 with DosBox, please let me know and I will be able to confirm if DosBox can fix my sound Stutter problem.

I mainly want to fix the sound problem without having to remove the sound.

Edit: I think I know the reason to the sound stuttering... I think it is because the computer tries to run the game in Dos Mode when you load it up using Orion2.exe however, I am not entirely certain if this is the problem I am facing.

How would I go about fixing this sound stuttering problem if this is the reason it stutters?

Edit2: I managed to get VDMS to work, but the sound still stutters a bit. So, I am currently trying to figure out another method that can eliminate all of the stuttering... I would use DosBox, but I don't even know how to launch the game with 1.40 applied because DosBox cannot target it. I read the FAQ page and the part that says "How to launch MOO2v140 with DosBox", but that isn't related to launching the game, it is related to hosting an online multiplayer match.

Also, I noticed that my mouse goes half its' normal speed when I try to move it left or right, while it goes the normal speed going up and down. This is only related to the Dos Version of MOO2... So I am going to try to find a way around this as well as the sound.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:04 am

Orion2.exe has sound issues. It stutters all over the place regardless of it loading 1.31 or 1.40.

If it is possible to start Orion2v140 with DosBox, please let me know and I will be able to confirm if DosBox can fix my sound Stutter problem.
Dosbox guide explains how to launch 1.40. After you patch with 1.40 you can see Orion2v140.exe in your moo2 folder. If you want to launch it from dosbox type orion2~1.exe in Dosbox window, or edit your dosbox.conf
"orion2~1.exe /skipintro /nobh /nowh /nosplint /minstart /planets=4 /noorion /noreport" that's a common commandline.
About sound stuttering you should also edit sound settings in dosbox.conf, see the offered dosbox.conf file

Torazo

Postby Torazo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:46 am

Thanks. I didn't know about the Orion2~1 part... I kept trying to find a way to start it up by using Orion2v140. Never clued in to click on the Programs tab and look at the Cmd line, which was what I was looking for, but couldn't find... Kind of funny if you think about it.

Thanks for the conf help too. I was found the one that Brazen has on the FAQ Page, but when I start the game with those settings, the game is off-centered from my monitor and I have to change the settings of my monitor to re-center it on the screen. Looks like I have a bit of changes to go before I am ready to use it to play the game.

Also, I don't have any mods in yet because I was mainly trying to figure out how to fix these problems. I have also thought about creating my own mod for the game, but I don't know how to make any changes to the game at the moment. I have tried to editing mods, but those need to be used on already made save files, which doesn't help.

That Dosbox Guide needs to be stickied.

Any idea on how to keep the screen centered upon starting and using DosBox to run start the game? DosBox itself is centered, but when I run Orion2~1, it is offcentered.

Edit: I set the output in dosbox.conf to opengl and it seems to have fixed the problem. It also stopped freezing the game before the menu popped up.

Now to see if I can get the in game music working again.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:48 am

You're welcome.
See this link for further fine tuning of dosbox.conf.

Torazo

Postby Torazo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:31 am

Found the reason why the music wasn't working... For some reason the music was turned off in game. I know I didn't do that, but at least I have it fixed. Kept thinking it might have been something to do with DosBox or one of the mods I tried...

surface freezes and goes, freezes and goes.
opengl works best for me it would seem.

I am going to try out a Dosbox CVS to see if anything changes for the best... If not, I will just go with my version of the Dosbox config that seems to run best for this computer.

roller123

Postby roller123 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 pm

For me it is

windows version: bugs, no command line settings
dosbox version: sound is broken
vdms version: video is broken

ati card and sound blaster live. Kinda hard to decide.

Return to “Support”