80 pop by turn 100 - 100 pop by turn 100 in MOO2

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
doright1922
80 pop by turn 100 - 100 pop by turn 100 in MOO2

Postby doright1922 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:21 pm

All across the web, I have read that the standard for a beginning player of MOO2 should be to create 80 - or 100!? - population units by turn 100.

This seems, after not a few personal attempts, a monumental feat. I have some questions:

Are there certain race picks under which this goal is most achievable?

What systems do you have to colonize in order to do the following:
- have enough housing planets to create the pop?
- have deep enough planets to store the pop?
- have farming planets to feed the pop?

Is 100 pop by 3510.0 a realistic goal only for certain tech level starts? Are there equivalent pop-by-turn X goals on advanced tech or pre-warp?

Does 100 pop by 3510.0 require a certain galaxy size?

Thank you much!

on_FiRe

Re: 80 pop by turn 100 - 100 pop by turn 100 in MOO2

Postby on_FiRe » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:28 am

the more production points u got on your housing planets the more pop comes out.
so i guess the best achievements can be made when having a production race such as

unitol or uniaquaprod2

imo the teching path is very important since there are some techs that help u pop early on.

these are autofactories and cloningcenter/soil enrichment. to get those techs faster u need rlabs

so the techpath is the usual rlabs -> afacts ->biospheres-> cloning/soil (dependant on how much food u produce)

soil helps u saving farmers to have more usuable pop e.g. to send them on planets for building cbases

good systems to colononize are those with many planets and one that has good mineral ressources in order to get colony bases faster.

try to build autos and rlabs on all planets by shifting ur pop in a system from planet to planet by keeping the others on housing and try to buy as much as possible when half of the production is done.

you should also check put ALEX|Ds video "how to play unitol"
viewtopic.php?t=190

since i dont have so much experience in this game i guess the other still got some good advices for you. the guides where the video is posted should help too.

regards

PK

Postby PK » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 pm

doright1922 - "a monumental feat" is 250 man in T100 from avarage start, in a large galaxy, organic world, unmodded game.

rest is just a normal stuff ;)
PK

Zieman

Postby Zieman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 am

By 'shifting' pop, do you mean transferring colonists between systems, or only between planets in a system? To send any number around the galaxy, you need lotsa freighters, when do you build them?
No skill, no knowledge - but lots of LUCK!!!

on_FiRe

Postby on_FiRe » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:58 am

You have to do both.

At the beginning u shift the pop on ur homeplanet(since this is in most cases the biggest one) and when its full u send them to ur other colonies.

the first two freighters are in the standard buildorder for prodraces:

cbase
freighter
cbase
cbase
freighter

by the time u got the second freighter u usually got a colony in another system and 5+ freighters unused. so i start sending pop one by one to the colony until there are around 4 pop to start building cbases in that system.

when i got the rlab tech i usually build one more freighter on the homeplanet after building the rlab since u have to shift pop from ur homeplanet to the others in ur system to build rlabs there and u gotta feed them.

later in the game i just produce freighters on all planets where i save pop since unused freighters dont cost any maintenance (as far as i know).

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”