Trying hand at modding - research question.

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Mackus
Trying hand at modding - research question.

Postby Mackus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Hello, I've done some minor modding to MoO2, but I am limited right now by my knowledge of game inner workings, and thus have to rely on specific editors. I can use hexeditors, if I know what to edit, or do simple things life "save game, sell one thing, save in another slot, compare saves to edit and give yourself 65536 Gold". Is there any comprehensive fan-made documentation of games exe hex addresses, or what particular files contain, and how read them to be able to edit whatever one want?

The thing I wanted to do right now, is changing which techs are researched "always all in group", as Colony Ship are being researched along with Outpost Ships, Freighters, and Transports, regardless of creative/uncreative (I guess if I succeed, I'll also change costs of those pick for balance)
I've used OCplus, but it doesn't seem to be able to edit thing I mentioned above.

Overlord2

Re: Trying hand at modding - research question.

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:31 am

Hi,
Some answers to your questions:
Is there any comprehensive fan-made documentation of games exe hex addresses, or what particular files contain, and how read them to be able to edit whatever one want?
No, no documentation except for documentation, which comes with the editor. Most of the data is contained in the exe and can be editied via OCL_improved editor. Racepicks costs and AI picks are in RACESTUF.LBX; tech descriptions in HELP.LBX, TECHDESC.LBX and TECHNAME.LBX; leaders data in HERODATA.LBX; The .LBX files can be editied via editors from MoO2 Workshop package.
The thing I wanted to do right now, is changing which techs are researched "always all in group", as Colony Ship are being researched along with Outpost Ships, Freighters, and Transports, regardless of creative/uncreative
You can change required tech field in technologies section of the OCL_improved editor.
I guess if I succeed, I'll also change costs of those pick for balance
You can change picks cost via OCL_improved editor too or via Pickhack tool.
I've used OCplus, but it doesn't seem to be able to edit thing I mentioned above.
OCLplus allows to edit the thing you mentioned above - same thing in technologies section.

Mackus

Postby Mackus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Thanks for speedy reply :)

To think I've been using OCplus from 2000s all this time.
I'll try OCL Improved tomorrow, when I'll be at computer with windows, since it doesn't seem to cooperate with Wine.

Mackus

Postby Mackus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Apparently, its impossible to change which tech fields will be researched with all their tech. And game will crash if I place more than 4 (or was it 5?) techs in same field. There is only 3 of them too.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 am

Apparently, its impossible to change which tech fields will be researched with all their tech.
This is correct, you can't change properties of the tech fields, you can only assign techs to the specific tech fields.
And game will crash if I place more than 4 (or was it 5?) techs in same field. There is only 3 of them too.
It will crash if its more than 5; so max is 4. You can make some techs known on start. That will make things easier.

Mackus

Postby Mackus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 am

Oh yeah, I tried making more tech know at start - the only unintended consequence (not necessarily bad), was that some buildings enabled this way were present on homeworlds even in Pre-warp start.
Thanks.

Return to “Game Modifications”