OCL_Improved

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:19 am

Ah, and not the off-topic question:
Is there any way to make monster's weapons available for the player? I've set "Technology required" field to something that could be achieved (the same as needed for the SC, for example), and it still doesn't appear in the ship design.
Probably there is no support for monster weapons to be seen in ship constructor menu. It needs technology and description, but there is none for it. Although it's possible to add manually monster weapons to a ship via save editor.
Also, in order to learn more about dmg mechanics (data I've found in internet is kind of contradictory)
Two ways to learn real mechanics - conduct experiments by yourself or better yet read through the code. I didn't see any good guides on the web except for Gontzol's, but its not fully accurate either.

I've removed all the excluded specials for the Damper field, and it became clickable after been chosen once, but cannot be actually added (judging by how the game complaints, each special is intrinsically unique). Also, even after that shields-related specials are not selectable, and the whole thing appears to have a very little effect.
What do exactly these "excluded" fields change, then?
To tell the truths its the first time I noticed it includes these columns. In original ocl they weren't deciphered and I just never payed attention.
Well, it might be there are additional places in the code, which fastens excluded specials, but these flags don't have connection to it. For example so was with the mods - you could add overloaded mod to the missiles but it didn't work, since there was a bit mask to be set elsewhere. Nirran added this data to the editor after A.T. found it.
As for putting double special on the same ship, I think it will be impossible in any case.

Maskk

Re: OCL_Improved

Postby Maskk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the help earlier. My edits to make a 'marathon' Moo2 have finally born fruit.

Tech problem in modding: the game crashes if you have a tech field with only 1 technology that a race cannot have (e.g. I had Virtual Reality +30morale as a singleton by accident).

Major changes: Drastically slowed middle-late game techs so that you can't just plow through the late game techs once you get to 1-2K research points (e.g. time warp facilitator costs 75K in RP instead of 15K) moved around the tech fields. Rebalanced race picks and made every AI something workable. Moved the tech tree around for better balance (sociology doesn't blow anymore) and drastically pumped up missiles, torpedos, fighters, and mid-to-late game ship D.

The result is a game that I can no longer auto-crush on impossible. In fact, its pretty friggin hard and requires I make alot more commitment to ship/race/playstyle. Also, i think different styles should work better on impossible/huge/prewarp vs. the AI now.

If anyone is interested, I'm still working on rebalancing, but so far so good.

BTW, does the phase shifter do anything 'unbeatable' the way that the phasing cloak/Time warp did?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am

Hi All,
Tech problem in modding: the game crashes if you have a tech field with only 1 technology that a race cannot have (e.g. I had Virtual Reality +30morale as a singleton by accident).
Afair it wasn't happening, it just missed the entire level. Btw, how did you do the Virtual Reality +30? There is no info in the editor for it...
Major changes: Drastically slowed middle-late game techs so that you can't just plow through the late game techs once you get to 1-2K research points (e.g. time warp facilitator costs 75K in RP instead of 15K) moved around the tech fields. Rebalanced race picks and made every AI something workable. Moved the tech tree around for better balance (sociology doesn't blow anymore) and drastically pumped up missiles, torpedos, fighters, and mid-to-late game ship D.
Did you update original game or created new mod from scratch?
BTW, does the phase shifter do anything 'unbeatable' the way that the phasing cloak/Time warp did?
Nothing unbeatable, but allows powerful tactics involving emg missiles or shuttles.

Maskk

Postby Maskk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 am

By Virtual Reality +30, I was referring to Virtual Reality Network in Galactic Networking which gives +30 to morale.

And I modded the original game, trying to leverage the OCL as best I could, using MeltingPot to edit the races.

Some things I'm noticing in my version:
1) With tech slowed down, and spying beefed WAY up (i'm currently testing +12% spy for 2 race points and +36% spy for 6 race points, and +12% for Telepathy which now costs 5 points), the computer can jack tech from you and eachother very quickly--this seems to advantage the AI.
2) By creating multiple more tech-focused computer builds, the comp now keeps up in tech MUCH better (Alkari and Silicoid are diff versions of DemoLith. Humans and Trilarian are now creative)
2a) By having no sucky AI builds, the average threat seems greatly increased. Longtime sucky guys like Alkari are now Demolith. And Bulrathi have added subterranean, which makes them appear to do better.

Phase Shifter:
Good to hear it can't go unbeatable. I look forward to trying it on in a game.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:12 am

In original Virtual Reality Network gives only +20 moral, so I wondered how you made it +30

Maskk

Postby Maskk » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:31 am

In original Virtual Reality Network gives only +20 moral, so I wondered how you made it +30
Mental mistake. I didn't mod it. Just misremembered it as +30

Maskk

Postby Maskk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:21 am

So I found a new problem: my game is freezing mid-combat at the point at which it is supposed to be resolving missile and AI movement. It is freezing on the second turn after I've captured a couple ships, in a combat that features a range of activity: transporters, HV beams, a planet firing with missiles, fighters, and ground batteries.
I've already had combat in this game that was ship/ship and featuring beams and missiles that worked as expected. I am not sure if the problem is with MOO or with something or other that I may've modded.

I can send my saved game as well as my text mod file to use for OCL GUI changes (the moment you end turn, the Trilarians attack into the combat that is freezing my game). Can anyone here give me a hand troubleshooting?

Best,
Maskk

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:10 am

Does the game freeze if you load the save in regular moo? Also did you try to conduct the battle in hot seat mp and what are the results? Generally the save would be preferable over mod files.

Maskk

Postby Maskk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Does the game freeze if you load the save in regular moo? Also did you try to conduct the battle in hot seat mp and what are the results? Generally the save would be preferable over mod files.
What's the best way to upload files? I don't believe this forum has native file sharing.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Any free fileshare will be fine. I use speedyshare.com the most.

Maskk

Postby Maskk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:28 am

Any free fileshare will be fine. I use speedyshare.com the most.
I found part of google that will do it:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2A4LKN ... sp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2A4LKN ... sp=sharing

One link is the txt file to get to my mod of MOO2. One link is the save game 1 turn away from the attack that goes AWOL.
What I do on turn one: blow up 1-2 ships with beams + take two ships with the 'Board' ships and their transporters

Then: freeze

What makes this more frustrating, is that this is just the point in the game where after this battle, I can build some transports and go take over the Trilarian race with their own ships, thus exploding out of my little corner of the galaxy.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:34 pm

Looked at the save - it doesn't freeze when you raid/destroy enemy ships. It only freezes when you capture them. Not sure what it is connected with, I will try to study the save deeper.

Maskk

Postby Maskk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Looked at the save - it doesn't freeze when you raid/destroy enemy ships. It only freezes when you capture them. Not sure what it is connected with, I will try to study the save deeper.
Thanks! Its really strange, I was really excited when I saw the total destruction that my boarding ships can do (I'm considering editing Neutron Blaster's so they don't kill marines; its so gross), and then... frozen!

Haelkyon

Postby Haelkyon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Don't know if you'll ever see this Nirran but here goes.

My version of OCL(Whatevers on your website) is rewritting the first 2 Hexs of VCDREG. Even if I just extract the Data files, save them, and reinsert without touching a thing. It switchs first two hexs from '4D 5A' to '10 00' and the game becomes unloadable. I saw in a post here it was doing that earlier and you'd marked as 'fixed' so I dunno, maybe just my screwy computer.

Took me while to track down as I've never used a hex editor before, but easy enough to fix once I saw it. Other hexes are changed to when you change the Data file, but I'm assuming those are alright and from the change in Offsets. I don't really know anything about that, not my area of expertise at all.

Using Windows 8.1 with OCL_Improved ran in Adminastrator Mode. Tried various Compatability setting, none seem to matter.

Nirran

Postby Nirran » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 am

Hello,
I found that bug yesterday and uploaded a fix,redownload,should be good.

Nirran
Fastest way for evil to triump is for good people to do nothing

Return to “Game Modifications”