Where to get the version of the game from Atari download?

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Juju Dredd
Where to get the version of the game from Atari download?

Postby Juju Dredd » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:17 pm

It seems the game is no more available at atari.com.
I was said this version of the game correct the feodal assimilation glitch. Does anybody know how to get this version now?

(Don't tell me to use the DOS version with DOSBOX, it lags with my old Pentium D, and I am too a wimp to play a network game)

Juju Dredd

Postby Juju Dredd » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:24 pm

I am running dos box at old Pentium D as well (ceded newer comp to my kids :)), it runs fast enough with no problems. Maybe we can solve yours as well? Did you changed output and scaling methods? Maxed cycles?

Juju Dredd

Postby Juju Dredd » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your help, but I tried various way to configure Dosbox (including changing displaying settings) and I was never satisfied.

It seems the windows version is available again, I found it somewhere. But I have changed my computer because of too high temperatures issues, and the new one is enough performant tu run MOO2 with Dosbox in a satisfying way. But I keep using the Windows version because I prefer it.

By the way, do you know if the mouse glitch correction patch is available, I cannot find it anywhere.

Tanks for your answer.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 pm

There are many topics about different mouse issues at this forum, i don't know what glitch you are referring to, but very likely it is covered in one of those. I read only this one, and now am using that nice tool with dos box. That tool alone is a big reason to use dos box, but there is even bigger reason to use it :), besides multiplayer demands of course.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:34 pm

This is part of my instruction for moo2, which i wrote some time ago, it may help you:
6. Graphics configuration in DOS BOX.

For better compatibility in DOS BOX config files there is written output=surface parameter. But if you change it for output=opengl or output=ddraw you may get better perfomance. Also output=overlay may help, if you experience any troubles with image output.

If you are launching the game at CRT monitor you may want to change screen refresh rate settings. To do so you need to edit appropriate settings in system registry, or use software tools like RivaTuner or ReForce. Also your video driver's options may contain required settings to fix that (something about Custom Resolutions or User Resolutions).

Also with CRT monitor you may like to set your natural screen resolution for fullscreen mode, to prevent your monitor from entering uncomfortable 640x480 resolution mode. To do so, you need to edit appropriate DOS BOX config file(s) and set the following parameter: fullresolution=1280x1024 (or whatever your natural monitor's resolution is)

You may set fullscreen=true parameter, if you want the game to start in fullscreen mode right away.

Also you may like to improve the quality of image scaling (if you changed fullresolution parameter). To do so, you need to change scaler parameter in DOS BOX config file(s). For example, to make graphics more smooth, you may set scaler=advmame3x or scaler=2xsai, but in this case image sharpness can get worse, which could be uncomfortable. Try out what is best for you.

Read details about different scaling methods at this link: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

If you want to increase sharpness of the image scaling, set output=openglnb in appropriate DOS BOX config file(s), but in this case you will lose all smoothness.

By default the image is scaled to fit the screen size. If you doesn't like the image stretching on wide screen, you need to set aspect=true parameter, which will keep the image proportions to 4:3.
There is also sometimes sound glitching in dos box, it disappears with restart of the game. The only solution i know is to randomly change sound settings in dos box (mostly rate, blocksize and prebuffer), until it never happens again. I didn't found the "fixing pattern" yet, different settings helped at different systems.

And cycles=max cures most lags (not all though).

Hope it will help you.

Return to “General Discussion”