Gyro-Destabilizer - Any good?

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
MechTheDane
Gyro-Destabilizer - Any good?

Postby MechTheDane » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:53 pm

What I've always done early game is build a fleet of the destroyers and give them gyro-destabilizers, then i'd rip the hull apart on enemy ships when they showed up...I always thought that was a good strategy...

But is it not?!

?!?!

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:11 pm

It is not a good strategy.
Inertial stabilizer or antigrav harness is much better choice.
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html
that's an interesting guide you should study.

MechTheDane

What's so wrong with Creative?

Postby MechTheDane » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:03 pm

That was always the bread and butter of my offline games...

VirtualAlex

Postby VirtualAlex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:32 am

In my experience, Gyro Destabelizer is THE ABSOLUTE best way to kill the guardian of Orion.

2 titans with 10-13 gyros and a few battleships kill him really fast. Gyro damage goes right to the hull bypassing armor and shields. Although they do less damage on small ships. It's a pretty niche weapon, but when I am prepping to kill the Guardian I refit everything to Gyros and go all out on him.

Time

Postby Time » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Yea, I preferred the antigrav harness as well.
You have to chose some techs for ground combat purposes, if you plan to capture any planets.
I can usually find any other assortment of weapons to take out the Guardian.

Many people use Dests with Mercs MIRV'd.
You can build alot of them early, because, they are cheap, and you don't need a starbase at a colony to build them.

To the player using Titans, if you are going to wait that long to take it out, you could use 2 Titans with the maximum number of pulsons MIRV'd 2 shots you can fit on there too.
The Guardian's lightening field can't destroy all of them.

For that rate, many late game weapons will work well too, such as plasma cannons, stellar converters, etc.

But, gaining some Ground Combat advantage back, after you probably took the -20 GC as a Race Pick, makes more sense in the long run.

I remember when the Game first came out, yes Gyros were kind of cool to watch, and they were effective, too effective, so, they were toned down in a patch, and relegated to old news, as many people got better with the remaining options in the game.

That does bring up an interesting option.
In a new VDC (or other) mod, you could place these later on the tech tree and boost back up their effectiveness again.
Depending on what they are up against, the gyro stabilizer could become relevant again.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Postby 3022 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Inertial stabilizer is one of most important technology for me, and gyro-destabilizer is one of the most uselles... but you can perhaps trade or steal this technology...

In one game I have hat big troubles when oponent has used gyro-destabilizers opposite my early, small beam ships - problem is that he always hits, and when you using small, agile ships which are build to not be hit... it was really destructive, horible weapon.

In other game I have used few destroyers with destabilisers like some sort of diversion force in big battle. The point was that the opponent was using big battleships without Inertial stabilizers, with limited manoeuvreability and speed and with weapons directed only to front. Most important was here the aspect that destabilizers turned the target in another direction. For few production points for few destroyers it was really good investment :-).

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”