Fighters

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
CannibalSmith
Fighters

Postby CannibalSmith » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Make a battleship loaded with fighters to the max and two empty frigates. Combat:
1. Battleship optionally charges forward, launches fighters, jumps out. All in the first round.
2. Frigates turn around and flee to the corners of the map thus preventing the combat from ending.
3. As any threats near a frigate, it jumps out.
4. All this gives the interceptors up to four rounds time to do lots of damage killing at least one battleship, star base, missile base, or whatever.

Comments? Is this tactic known here? AI is helpless against it. Would it be viable against humans?
sig

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:55 pm

Fighters are useless vs human. Easy to be shot down, you can't controll them after launching and you have to skip reinforced hull to have fighters which is bad idea ( unless you're creative-which is even worse idea ;) )

CannibalSmith

Postby CannibalSmith » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:29 am

Planetary defenses simply don't have that kind of firepower. Uh, do people even build these?

Arguably, I don't need reinforced hull because I don't get hit (much) in the first place with this tactic.
sig

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:16 pm

You ask many questions...that's good. But better you should join our comunity at IRC channel and figure out what works good and what badly vs humans by playing with us. I encourage you to read this guide http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html ,there you should find some answers for your requests.

CannibalSmith

Postby CannibalSmith » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 am

What are the peak times of the IRC channel?
sig

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Qaz

Postby Qaz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

People load up on PD weapons.

Postby 3022 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Imho fighters are pretty effective in early game, later they lost because the are not affected by minituarisation, but beam weapons on ships - what fighting with them - are...
...other thing is that in original MOO2, the space 30 for interceptors is a little lot... best balanced is imho Mictian mod, where they cost 20 space, what looks be ~ optimal... at least for me. But even for 30 they can have good value in mid-game.

They are basically like missiles, but with some differences and advantages. Like missiles, best are they when are used "en masse", where they overvhelming the enemy PD. Like missiles, it is not good launch them on long range - if the enemy is not desorganised and he has has enought regular beam weapons, they will have losses and efficiency of thier attack will be limited.

Like other "smart weapons", do not combine them on thier carriers with beam weaponry - it is wasting with the space, equipment and even experience of the crew (im using commonly newly produced ships, with unexperienced crews - which are not efficient in beam combat - like fighter carriers)... but you can combine them with bombs, pulsars, missiles or anti-missile rockets on the ship.

Most usefull from fighters are imho assault schutles and interceptors. Schutles because they attack with different way - the enemy is here not defendet with shields and armour like opposite other weapons - and some opponents are very weak when comes on hand to thand combat with marines. Interceptors are interesting because they cost less, and are very versatile.

Opposite missiles, interceptors heve such like advantages:

- they do not need so many technologies to be efficient. With discovered only Fighter Bays (80 RP) and Fusion Beam (150 RP), you have very efficient ship weapon.

- they attacking target allways from the side, where he has weakest shields

- they are not affected with anti-missile rockets, they are more resisant oposite to consequential explosions, they can be allways fired all in one salvo without Fast missile racks, they have even thier build-in Dautness Guidance System for free :-), they are unaffected with ECM and if they survives thier first flight, they can be reused and send to other attack (not common, but especially in big scale battle, you will have some part of them reused).

- they are more versatile - you can attack with them ships, other fighters, missiles. They are pretty effective like "one shot PD", even on long range, in game phase, where you do have not efficient beam weaponry.

- they can attack up to 4 different targets on one launch. You can not control them in flight, but they will attack your first assignated target and then, after his destruction, they will simply do what they can do. You can send them on aprodaching missiles, they will destroy them and then they will continue with other targets.

- they take thier space on ship, but after while, they are alot cheaper in terms of manufacturing costs. Commonly you are more affected by the command points, but in artritidion warfare, in emergency situations, when you playng for Warlord, or even you have strenght economy to take the costs, small Destroyer/Cruiser sized carriers can be manufacture pretty fast.

- they are automatically modernised on ships when are new technologies discovered - when you lead campagin on frontiers or on enemy territory, you often do not have time to go back in shipyards to modernise your weapons on whole fleet. But when you will discover new armour or better point defence moddable beam weapon, all your fighters on your ships will be automatically equiped with them.

One "tactic" what has worked pretty efficient for me: if is the long-range heavy mount beam weaponry not the main thread for your ships, do not launch your interceptors first. Stay in positions, click on the wait button. If your carriers can survive the first enemy long-range beam weaponry salvo, you can react on the enemy moves and send interceptors opposite to incomming missiles - concentrate them on the main threads, and they will kill the missiles on route and do not waste thier time with pursue. When they will destroy the assignated target, they will immediately continue with the attack on closest enemy ships. With this action you will get three benefits: reduce the enemy missile thread, strike on the closest ships and employ the enemy beam weapons with defensive fire on fighting interceptors. Not bad for the costs.

Fair_Strides_2

Postby Fair_Strides_2 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 pm

I got a few questions concerning fighters. I'm currently using them in my game, all of the other empires are dead and I'm waiting to turn on the Psilons, who I've found it better to make treaties with in the beginning or wipe out first.

I like to use fighters, pulsars, plasma webs and other wierd tactics. I once got around 42 pulsars on a Doom Star with phasing cloak and time warp facilitator.

I took out all but one of he empires with just interceptors and I'm wondering about a few things:

1.) Do computers affect them?
2.) When would you advise I discard them, because if I win against the Psilon with them, I'm gonna be happy?
"To know is good, but to act is better."-Myself

rewster1

Postby rewster1 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:21 am

Computers do affect their accuracy, but that's already pretty good because they are shooting pd beams at point blank. I think drive speed is more important as it affects their speed and beam defense. I'd suggest switching if you find out you can't beat a psilon fleet with them. :wink:

Fair_Strides_2

Postby Fair_Strides_2 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I already had the best drive, on account of the fact that I admire a creative Warlord empire. :)

Unfortunately that game got spaced.
"To know is good, but to act is better."-Myself

mojo

Postby mojo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:03 am

I prefer 2 shot fast mirv missiles. Of course you can get the technologies for the fighters faster. But I dont want to miss Reinforced Hull. Also i normaly don't take Fusion Beam. Neutron Blaster is so much better then Fusion Beam. And Battle Scanners is a must have technologie, so the step from Fusion Beam to Neutron Blaster is not that big.

A small hint, when you attack a system with the hit and run tactic, no matter whether missiles or fighters, build an outpost in that system. If you have to retread your ships stay in that system and can attack in the next round again or blockade the system. Works perfectly with Auto Repair or Cybernetic.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”