running moo2v140b23_patch.exe under linux

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

bert1
running moo2v140b23_patch.exe under linux

Postby bert1 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Hello all

I had a quick search of the forums and FAQ to see if this had already come up, but didn't find anything.

I've managed to get version 1.3.1 running using dosbox in ubuntu without too much trouble. I tried following the instructions for updating to 1.4 but the file moo2v140b23_patch.exe obviously won't run under linux.

No doubt I am being dumb and there is an obvious solution...

Anyone help?

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: running moo2v140b23_patch.exe under linux

Postby Lord Brazen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Hello all

I had a quick search of the forums and FAQ to see if this had already come up, but didn't find anything.

I've managed to get version 1.3.1 running using dosbox in ubuntu without too much trouble. I tried following the instructions for updating to 1.4 but the file moo2v140b23_patch.exe obviously won't run under linux.

No doubt I am being dumb and there is an obvious solution...

Anyone help?
You're right the patcher (moo2v140b23_patch.exe) will not run under Linux. It is actually compiled as a windows console app (it may run under wine in linux). I will likely compile the next release b24 as a pure DOS app so this should solve the problem.

This does not mean that you cannot currently run Orion2v140.exe under DOSbox in linux. This just means that you cannon apply the patch from DOSbox. You must apply the patch from windows. Once the patch has been applied the game will run under DOSbox in linux.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

bert1

Postby bert1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:17 am

Thanks very much Lord Brazen for your quick reply.

Glad to find out I wasn't being an idiot.

Wine didn't work for some reason, so I'll drag the folder off my linux machine, apply the patch on my girlfriend's and put it back again, see if that works. Making the patcher a dos application seems a good idea, then it can all be done from dosbox.

Thanks again and well done for all your work keeping MOO2 alive.

bert1

Postby bert1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:21 am

I've just got 1.40 upgraded from 1.31 on linux.

For anyone who's interested, what I did was the following, in tedious detail:

1. I put moo2v140b23_patch.exe into my /HOME/BERT/MPS/ORION2 folder on my linux machine. (Which was already updated to 1.31)

2. I burned that folder to a disk.

3. I put that disk in my girlfriend's windows machine.

4. I copied the folder to the windows desktop.

5. I ran the moo2v140b23_patch.exe in the windows desktop folder.

6. I burned the updated ORION2 folder to a new disk (I didn't have a rewritable disk)

6.5 I put the new disk back in my linux machine.

7. I replaced the ORION2 folder on my linux machine with the new ORION2 folder I just burned.

8. I ran orion2~1 from dosbox.

Bingo!

siron

Postby siron » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:05 pm

Adding the orion2v140.exe to the moo folder is sufficient. Just ask a windows user on our IRC channel. (At least until b24 is released.)

Return to “Support”