Re-mastering MOO2 for Win

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
soulburner
Re-mastering MOO2 for Win

Postby soulburner » Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:51 am

Hi! I've got an idea to re-master MOO2 Windows vesion. (I've got some experience in such things - take a look at my Digger XP project (http://www.gamesfolder.com/product-digger_xp.html).

I want to re-write the gfx engine to increase the resolution and maybe add some effects.

But first thing I need is a compilable C/C++ source. I've spent 2 days trying to create it, but had no result.

What I have done:

1. Made a disassembly by IDA
2. Added .asm file to MSVS project
3. Adapted code to MASM (code generated by IDA had some incompatibility)
5. Made linkage between ASM code and C functions (standard functions and some other)

But code is not working. The first reason is that there're lots of such things as functions tables or instructions like:

call ds:_myfunction

the trouble of such lines is that after the linkage under C envirenment the _myfunction may be situated not it the DS segment.

Anyway, there seems to be many other things that prevent code from working.

Can anybody help me with this? Or, maybe, somebody has already decompiled Win version of MOO2? I can share all my experience in this (I've spent a lot of time finding out how to link ASM code with C project and other small usefull things)

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:02 am

U wanna make sourecode from the gamefiles ?

I have not much clue if that works well ... !?!

We tryd to get the moo2 sourcecode but afaik atari (owner of moo right) hasn´t the code. Truth or not ... we´re searching for it ... but I have my doubts that we´ll get it one day :( !

soulburner

Postby soulburner » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:12 am

Yes, I want to do that. It IS possible, but very difficult. So, I'll be happy getting any assistance. :)

Zieman

Postby Zieman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:45 am

We tryd to get the moo2 sourcecode but afaik atari (owner of moo right) hasn´t the code. Truth or not ... we´re searching for it ... but I have my doubts that we´ll get it one day :( !
Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone contacted the game programmers? They may have the code stored, even if Atari owns the rights to it, so if Atari gives you a thumbs up, maybe Simtex people would be willing to give the source to you, maybe in similar way Toys for Bob has with Star Control II source?
No skill, no knowledge - but lots of LUCK!!!

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:21 pm

Never heard that a mooer has or had contact to any of the programmers ... but they could have the code yea ... !

Microprose and simtex r closed afaik. Seems Atari has just the game, not the code :( !

soulburner

Postby soulburner » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:50 am

I have a great success in making compilable version of MoO2. But I can't test it because I've got one crazy bug - the mouse cursor is jumpy. :) Sometimes it jumps to some direction and sometimes it can't be moved out of the small square. I can't imagine the nature of this bug.

Does anybody have any ideas?

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:09 pm

in dos and win version ?
viewtopic.php?t=220&highlight=mouse

did u try dosbox as well too .. ?

soulburner

Postby soulburner » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:49 pm

I'm working with Win version only. The original orion95.exe file works fine. I've got this trouble only when running my Win version.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:12 am

There is a mouse patch in LBs downloadsection. Mebbe you somehow activated this bug now. Or it is somehow related....dunno....do you have 2k?

soulburner

Postby soulburner » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:23 am

There is a mouse patch in LBs downloadsection. Mebbe you somehow activated this bug now. Or it is somehow related....dunno....do you have 2k?
And does anybody can explain me what exactly this patch changes? Where is the bug?

No, I don't have 2k. I have Win XP SP2.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:11 am

There is only a low chance that someone can give you details. The simple reason is that almost anyone uses the dos version with the new 1.4 patch here.

Some mouse error with the win version (on 2k) was also related to direct x settings IIRC. Disabling hardware acceleration solved it AFAIK.

Pirhana

Postby Pirhana » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:18 pm

I would be interested in helping out with a new MOO2 game if its a new MOO2 game and not some new thing that is not similar to MOO2. I been looking at freeorion but for me it looks like its going in a direction that is not really Moo2.

I do graphics, mostly 3D graphics but Ive used 3d programs for website creation many times so I know how to make 2d interfaces and such things with 3d programs. I dont know any coding but I would love to help out with gfx for a serious attempt at remaking moo2 in high resolution and more stable and better multiplayer.

I would like to create it as true to the orginal as possible, just better graphics (still in 2d) and better internet/multiplayer support.

There seems to be several ppl intrested in doing this.

siron

Postby siron » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Yes, freeorion has almost completely unrelated to moo2.

@ internet/multiplayer support

Keep in mind that the dos version has a acceptable performance for most players on this board. With dosbox even intercontinental 8ways are prolly possible. I agree that the MP performance of the win version is very poor. AFAIK moo2 was first developed for dos...and they made then a win compatible exe...the MP part never worked properly there.

So the MP-thingi is not a convincing reason for a clone imo. Nicer graphics would be fine though.....or even just some new leaders, ship designs etc..

shakka

Postby shakka » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:44 am

ask the person who designed the game they probably have the source codes

Pirhana

Postby Pirhana » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:31 am

Even if the game can be played the way it is that is just because there is no other option.
If its possible to remake it to run more smooth in MP and also update resolution and gfx and tweak a thing here and there for me that would be awesome.
Like waiting for battles can be extremly boring. There are many ways that it could be improved

Return to “Game Modifications”