Good Race Picks

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
yurop

Postby yurop » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:45 am

What's your research path at start, yurop?
standard 8)

rlab,-afactory,-solie.,-planetary comp.-robominers- (I usually play in big galaxies and early battles are rare.)

siron

Postby siron » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:17 pm

It's only the begining...soon after the lithovore bonus would lose its advantage. (one worker on prod is enough so 27 RP is it) and it will be very powerfull once you got enough food AND high population (that a lithovore race won't have)
It is not just the beginning. DemoLith doesnt need to invest 400RPs in cloners/soils. Instead early robo-miners generate a lot of housing pop. Additionally, it can kill early monsters (space for the pop) and I haven't seen a map so far where I had comparable (non-farming)-pop and techresults with your sub race.

The early advantage is really important in our MP-games. DemoLith can have robos at turn 40 and droids roundabout t85. And you have to expect an attack (with several battleships) of your opponent at turn 100-110 even when there are no wormholes at all (with wormholes t70-80).

So far, I wasnt convinced that demo sub is ready then. Try to convince me in a MP-game that you are ready then. :)
standard

rlab,-afactory,-solie.,-planetary comp.-robominers- (I usually play in big galaxies and early battles are rare.)
But you take hydros? After afacts?

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:48 pm

I´d like to play "stable" prod-races à la
  • * unitol prod
    * unisubaqua prod
cos u dont need to rely on map soo much with these races.

uniaqua alone is very risky imho, it can be the most powerful race (even stronger than unitol), but is really rare. If there r not much wets planets u were doomed, and this happend more often.

ChefKoch

Postby ChefKoch » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:05 am

It is interesting nobody seem to use creative...? I know it's expensive and in MP games you can use 8 pics better, but it definitly remains powerful. I don't know if it makes sense in MP games, but in SP games I never walk without.
Maybe I try, if anybody can give my a good research plan?! E.g. Auto Factory and Heavy Armor are together...

And one question: A few talked something about the droids. Does anybody use them...? I don't think they are usefull...?!

My actual favorite race is:
Unification, rich home world, cybernetic, creative, minuses on ship attack and defense, money and ground attack.

With creative it is no problem to compensate the minus on ship attack / defense and researching is quite fast: 2 food, 1 prod, 5 research generates a -1 on food but that only matters until I have the hydro farm. And the overproduction is used for creating money. Later in the game I always need one or two colonies to produce some money, but I never had any real money problem, especially at the beginning, when you sell your starbase and the barracks (you don't need them with unification...).
I could need some population bonus or some further production bonus (because of cybernetic), but with this race I don't produce colony bases before I have auto factory and no colony ships before I have pollution processor. In addition with having pollution processor and combat ... tanks? (I don't kno the whole Englisch word for "Gefechtskapseln"...) I'm able to build ships with atom rockets and mirv. That means four to six destroyers are able to capture every monster world (well, NOT Orion, that's for sure).

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:56 am

Gefechtskapseln
-> Battlepods

Best crea races is CREAsubUNI | -shipdef -grcom repulsive.
Unification, rich home world, cybernetic, creative, minuses on ship attack and defense, money and ground attack.
This race is not able to store a huge amount of pop to theire colonies ... race is too slow for usuall MP games.

Crea is weaker in the beginning, but crea´s strenght grows with the time. Crea has good defences MissleBase, FighterG ... ! After crea gets C III / WD / planetary shield u ll need mercs/pulsons/antitrops to be able to get through planetary shield.

I think it´s better to learn playing prodraces in begining ... http://www.moo2.de-suuplappens.de/Short ... layers.txt

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:56 am

It is interesting nobody seem to use creative...? I know it's expensive and in MP games you can use 8 pics better, but it definitly remains powerful. I don't know if it makes sense in MP games, but in SP games I never walk without.
Maybe I try, if anybody can give my a good research plan?! E.g. Auto Factory and Heavy Armor are together...

And one question: A few talked something about the droids. Does anybody use them...? I don't think they are usefull...?!
re: creative, people do play races with that pick in multiplayer, but generally only the most experienced players can have a chance of making it work, and even then they are very often beaten. The biggest difficulty creative has is that the race is very slow at the start of the game. Most other races spend the 8 picks on production or research enhancements, and so they can establish an empire much more quickly. They can often hit a creative race with a fairly large fleet before the creative player has good defensive technology or ships to put them on.

re: droids, yes, droids get used. They are very useful, because they have the +3 bonus, and they can be built faster than population can grow. Players usually take worker droid tech (assuming non-creative). They are not affected by gravity levels, and if there is no biological population on a planet, they don't have to worry about pollution penalties either. Filling up a large or huge ultra-rich planet with worker droids can give you a place that can build a BB in 3 or 4 turns. There are other ways to get a planet to that level, but generally they take much longer to do.

Games are often over before droid technology levels are reached, though.

Some play strategies, however, are actually centered around droids. Siron has a nifty demo strategy that involves teching straight to droids as quickly as possible, without stopping for much else beyond initial cbases or autofactories. Such focus, with the right race, gets to droids fairly early in the game, and once that point is reached the demo race can hold its own as far as production goes. When combined wtih the inherent research advantage of demo, plus the research techs picked up on the way to droids, it's a tough opponent.

So, yes, droids get used from time to time.

-Gusset

ChefKoch

Postby ChefKoch » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:41 am

Ok, now knowing MP games are not as long, it is for sure that a race with creative pic is a tough choice.
I'm familiar with SP games and there you normally have enough time to build up your empire and therefore it is quite normal to reasearch nearly every technology...

Regarding the droids: I have the German version of MOO2 so maybe there are some translation mistakes (I already found several at oher explenations...)?!
Could somebody give me a short explenation of how to handle with droids?
Is it correct, that they produce 3 food / production / research points and need 1 production point for maintenance?
And what about all the boni from buildings like auto factory and the type of government?

Dustin

New Race Picks

Postby Dustin » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:02 am

I now like:

Lithovore, Unification, and Fatastic Traders.
With Normal minuses of Low-G, Spying, and Ground Combat.

The way I figure it is Lithovore makes it so no food and freighters is ever required in the game and is a resonable 10 picks. Also, cant be blockaded and be straved to death! Unification gives you a +50% production bonus (production race), and fantastic traders becuase only go to war with 1 at a time. Instead of getting Tolerant, which would make this look like the Silicoid, after a little while Polluction Conrol Facilities (650rp), cuts it in half and is a good deal. Fantastic Traders, I think, is better than a +1 industry because of the number of players in the game and in a long game it helps. Another idea I've had, with the 4 extra picks is Warlord, but that doesnt seem to be as profitable.

I think this is an impovement over the Cybernetic idea. Other ideas also work in theory. This works best for me so far, so I use it.

What do you guys think of this one?

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:55 am

If u play this race with AI´s it is a good one.

I dont play vs AI, I prefer MP and for MP (without AI) I can say that

lith uni prod1 lhw (rep -sd -gc) is faster and better.

Instead of unilith I prefer uniaqua prod2 lrhw, I think it´s in the end, for most maps, the better choice.

I dont like these little planets :wink: nonaqua nonsub nontols have ... !

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:00 pm

I'm getting used to playing Unification, Tolerant, +1 Production, Repulsive, -20 Ship Defense and -10 Ground Defense. You easily can out colonize and out produce the AI. You can also produce a lot of Spies to get extra techs.
Last edited by Matthew on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramidel

Postby Ramidel » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:23 am

Bah, unitol monkeys. ^_^

I'm a Creative techno by preference, personally (I also prefer Huge galaxies). Yes, this means I don't ship-blitz worth a damn, I'm a late-game rather than early-game player and work on slowing the game however possible. My preference is as follows:

-50% Pop
-.05 money
-10 Ground
Creative
Omni
Demo
Rich HW

--
The Rich Homeworld allows me some parity with the unitol blitzers in the early game, and Democracy both buffs research and cash -and- permits you to skimp on Marine Barracks. Omni, meanwhile, allows you to mark your strategy from day 1: is there a omniunitol near you? If so, you need to rush to missile cruisers. Is your area of space almost dry? Get some infrastructure tech, then, and get ahead of the unitol rushers. As to the pop penalty? Two words: Cloning Center.

Oh, and once you've done some conquering? Those Tol Ind+ captives can run the ship-world. Start wiping out the old race, maybe: an advantage of the setup is that the race population itself isn't where the advantages lie.

yurop

Postby yurop » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:59 am

minus money is not good with democracy, clonincenter not so good if you don't have some population bonus (subterran, aqua or tolerant)

reading the posts here i still think that the researcher races would win the fight with the prod races (in pre-warp settings at least...)

Stuckey

Postby Stuckey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:30 am

I tend to like uni/creative/telepathic
This tends to beat everything in SP games on impossible (with 1 battleship i can take over the first empire i meet, as long as they don't have class 3 shield).

Also, is telepathic ever used in MP games? I like it due to not having to build transports, and auto assimilation of colonists

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:36 am

I tend to like uni/creative/telepathic
it won't work in mp games, this race is much too slow to compete
Also, is telepathic ever used in MP games?
6 picks spent on Tele , hurts economy. But sometimes you can use it as in blitz tactic. Zirkhan uses it sometimes in 4 ways :)

hyperios

Postby hyperios » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:17 am

a good race i like to go for is

democracy-7
creative-6
lowg+5
-50food+3
cybernetic-4
largehw-1

im huge on science races. if i have plasma cannons while your still tinkering with neutron blasters, your screwed.
democracy helps alot with the economy, which, in many circumstances, does better than prod. money builds something alot faster than building it, if you know what i mean. production races do good in mass-production, but money goes farther than that. create a good surplus, and you can BUY a battleship in 3-4 turns. sometimes, people neglect money races.
cybernetic not only compliments -food, but you even get some prod out of it. a good compromise of both aspects.
ever noticed how computer races can always have a starbase on a planet in 1 turn? or how they have these huge fleets, but no infrasructure? my theory is that they have their taxes perpetualy set to 50%. ive noticed that ever since i was 8. money galore or what?
the trick to the game is that money=cost. if you make twice as much money at 50% taxes than at 0%, the slowed build is largely worth it. think about it.

but for a prod race?

unification-6
creative-6
lowg+5
-50food+3
cybernetic-4
anything-2

its not much. but i don't care. moral helps alot more than you think. surrrre, so you dont need to build those pesky holo simulators and pleasure domes. but a +70% increase in food, production, and research is the reason democracy has that extra 1 point. unification can't provide that.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”