Balance Tech and Expansion

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
JAB95
Balance Tech and Expansion

Postby JAB95 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:31 am

I have only played 2 online games (4 way and 1v1).

Both times I used UNITOL +1 Prod LGHW normal minuses (Repulsive, -Ship Def, -Ground Combat)

With the exception of the pro moo play in the 4 way I have had more population and less tech. I read through all the strategy guides I could find online. I struggle with balancing tech and expansion. With this race what is the best strategy:

Tech while expanding
Tech after main expansion

Does finding a good planet guarded by a monster change the teching strategy? Maybe tech MIRV to get the planet?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hothgadt

Postby Hothgadt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 pm

I am not a pro, but I'd say:

* you want to tech to supercomps only after taking a handfull of systems with Unitol, so housing and growing can go on full speed, while home world gets supers

* later in the game you will want to have a few dedicated science colonies (this huge ultra-poor world whose 30 pop dont seem to know what to do...). Everywehere else you only have automatic science (from rlabs, supercomps, autofacs)

* you dont need to be technologically more advanced than your neighbor. as long as you have lots more production to make up for it.

* it all depends on galaxy size , starting tech age, and the other players' style.

* delaying supercomp to get monster planet faster has pros and cons. I'd say that as long as you (1) have enough interesting other systems, and (2) no early rush is expected, you should get supercomps before mirv-nuces & battle pods and benefit from monsters once you have these.

All in all you should try and balance your tech not only vs your expansion but mostly vs the other guy's tech. When you see that someone has a faster drive, for example, it shouldnt matter how tempting it is to get your advanced government up or something long-term you might "almost have" - you need to match his drive then and there next thing!
Those are my principles!
If you don't like them: I have others!

JAB95

Postby JAB95 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:03 pm

After playing a few more games and getting some tips from pros I have learned some things (still learning of course). What I found was based on race selection and map settings.

The next challenge is to balance defending the rush and competing against an expansion player. It is tough in 4 way games.

In general your comments make sense the other factor to consider is early attack. If you tech to supers and another person goes war tech you may lose unless you can get a bb up by turn 80 with battle tech. This is based off playing in gm2 map with uni\aqua +1 Prod RICH\LHW with normal negative picks.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”