VDC Strategies

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Qaz
VDC Strategies

Postby Qaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 am

Anyone play this mod? It seems to have a really interesting tech tree that allows more options. I have only played a little single player, but it seemed good. So, anyone care to share their race picks, tech paths, and ship designs?

I think in this I would pick warlord over ship attack. You will get 15 offense and 15 defense as well as command points for only 3 points, rather than just 20 offense for 2 points. A strong pick. And some of the really crappy minuses have been given appropriate values (-1 prod/research, feud), although I haven't tried them yet.

At first glace this mod seems much more balanced than regular 1.40b23.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 am

Hi Qaz,
I've been changing race costs to and fro with hopes to find balance between unification democracy and dictatorship. There is an opinion that at 20 points balance cannot be reached, but I still try.
Speaking of best races, well, it is difficult to point out the best, at least this was my goal that I hopefully achieved.
Here is my suggestion (based on 12.f version):

Best dictatorship races -
#1 Sub, +2 prod, +100 pop, rhw, cybernetic
#2 Tol, +2 prod, +50 pop, cybernetic
#3 Sub Lith +100 pop

Best Demo races -
#1 Aqua, Demo, +100 pop, +0.5 cash, lw or charismatic
#2 Aqua, Demo, +50 pop, +0.5 cash, +1 research

Best Uni races -
#1 Uni, Tol, rhw
#2 Uni, Aqua, +2 prod, lhw
#3 Uni, Aqua, +100 pop, rhw

Tech path varies for the races. I'd say for each particular race - its specific tech path. Difficult to advise here.

As for ship designs, well, this is even vaster topic. Usually bombers and fighters are beginning weapons as well as antimatter torps. Then beams and etc.

Qaz

Postby Qaz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:19 pm

I wonder about doing a ground assault race that immobilizes and takes over ships for tech. For only 2 points you could have +20 ground combat. Humans might be too good with the self destruct tho.

Also.. last night I did a fun spy demo race in single player (probably wouldnt work vs humans). I only colonized 3 systems, and got the basics facts/labs/supers/clones/mirv missles & armor. And then teched allt he spy stuff i could find. Also I had +10 spying in my race picks and i got a +6 spying leader (had charismatic). So at that point I had like +66 spying bonus. Then I spied like hell on one non-creative race and got a bunch of awesome stuff that I had no tech points in. I hadn't even teched fusion drives but I stole antimatter. :) Spying at that point was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Feudalism will be a fun challenge now too, I am playing on medium with 4 players so it should actually be possible with all the reduced values for combat +'s and the greater negative for feudalism.

Fun stuff, I will have to download 12f.

As for balancing race picks, it is different if everyone is always playing organic rich. In that kind of universe, aqua will always be a lot better than sub. I also think that making +2 research only 5 points was a nice move. Generally hard to play a race with that much tech. I'm wanting to try a demo +2 tech race sometime hoping that I can jump out in front early.

Astax

Postby Astax » Sun May 03, 2009 3:27 am

I have been using UniAqua+1prodRHW+50%growth
It has worked pretty good for me. I just cant play 100%growth race well, and I don't feel like learning.

UniTolRHW strikes me like a recipe for fail. I will try it maybe, but I have no high hopes. My old UniTol 1.4 build was +1 food, because food can be a bitch with straight up UniTol if the map does not cooperate. But I guess in this mod Food replicators would be the way to go. But then again if you are going to get food replicators your production will not be so good over a Tol+2Cyber race unless you hit really nice planets. Your main advantage over said race is you don't need to barrack everything.

I have tried also demolith and man it's just not working out for me lol. It's like the UniTol, does not work so good together :) I will try sub lith and demo aqua to get the hang of those.

rewster1

Postby rewster1 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:00 am

Well, I haven't played online with it yet, so BIG DISCLAIMER. :D
Armor barracks are wicked cheap now, and no maintenance, so it seems to make sense to build them anywhere you won't be building your transports. This would seem to help a dict race the most, as you now have a building you can throw up in a turn or three that takes away the morale penalty and doesn't cost maintenance. Also, one of the few good points of feudal in vanilla was that it could build outposts instead of marine barracks, because when you factor in the ship discount and the morale penalty of trying to build on the new planet, it comes out as cheaper. Now with dirt cheap armor instead, even this slight advantage is gone over dict.

I've tried to build something around the early food reps as well, though this was before I heard about the bug. The combo I came up with was demo, cyber, tol, +prod, -food, repulsive. The dem cash bonus gives you .5 per pop extra, cyber means you need .5 food per pop, and food reps cost 1 BC per food, so you break even there (except for the 1 BC for the building itself). Then, cyber requires .5 prod and .5 food per pop. The .5 food converts to 1 prod, so you end up needing 1.5 prod per pop if you have zero farmers. Tol takes care of pollution (and gives you a handy pop max bonus) so on any planet with higher than 4 prod/pop, you come out ahead using the food reps. You have 5/pop on your homeworld after auto facts. So, one producer can "feed" 3.33 pop. Robo miners pushes that to 7, so you can feed 4.66 pop with one producer.

The problem of course, is that food bonuses and techs are cheaper now, so this isn't nearly as useful as it could have been.

Probably the biggest winner here is dict, as you have a combined 30% morale bonus in two 650 RP techs, a cheap marine barracks replacement, cheap food race picks and tech, and more expensive unification. Demo can get holos and is now cheaper, but I think dict is probably better.

Astax

Postby Astax » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

My only point of contention with new armor barracks is that as Dict Cyber Tol I would not take them over Hydroponics. Though I need to work on this a bit.

Yes there are alternatives, but they are not that great. Food Replicators is Meh, you would never build it on all your planets, like you would Hydroponics. And getting replicators means no biosphere. Also Taking Subterranean Farms over Cloning Center, this is seriously not a good idea IMO.

Only alternative left would be if I had a dedicated farming planet that's a Gaea class.

KFizzle

KFiz4's vdc42 strategies

Postby KFizzle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:45 pm

this is just some of my gameplay:
it includes sublith and some creative

its old school moo2 strategies, tell me what you think.

http://kfiz4.4shared.com

-KFiz4

Overlord2

Re: KFiz4's vdc42 strategies

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:53 am

its old school moo2 strategies, tell me what you think.

-KFiz4
Much out of practice ;)

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”