Small, Pre Warp, 1vs1, no comp: Strategy and Tactics

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
4e4ako
Small, Pre Warp, 1vs1, no comp: Strategy and Tactics

Postby 4e4ako » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Hello! I have read some strategy guides here, but it's all about medium/large galaxy. Lets discuss strategy for Small and Pre-warp galaxy, as fun blitz game...
I have some statements about it, lets discuss are they right or wrong.
1) We cant afford a Colony Ship, only Colony Bases.
2) We need to win in a blitz war, so Warlord or +Ship Offense or both are required.
3) Do Tech races have a chance?..)
4) Lith is not so good, because in our single star system HW is very good for farmers. But Lith is very good in small game, because of early tech rush. But Lith with Uni make no sense. So, I dont understand, are races with Lith viable and what strategy and other race pick it needs?
5) Uni Tol is the best anyway?.. :lol:
6) Can we afford a Planetary Supercomp _before_ making the attacking or defending fleet?..
7) What Tech Tree Path is optimal for productional race? For Tech? Enemy is rusher...

And some about tactics...
1) Can we use Fighters for Blitz?
2) 6 enemy Scouts with FST MIRV nuke missiles and with ship initiative... Their turn is first. Whats the better counter strategy? Cruiser with fully upgraded Lasers and Aug Engines/Battle scanner for initiative?

And the main question... Sorry, but I cannot find it....

***How to calculates Ship Initiative in the game?

PS. Sorry for my English, plz...

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:39 am

How to calculates Ship Initiative in the game?
ini=BA/10+V
BA=ship's Beam Attack
V=Ship's combat speed.
About prewarp small strat.... i'm not an enthusiast of such setups so it's hard to advise anything. You can forget about supercomps and any other higher than 250 RP tech since you can expect war at t 40 and a bb at t 50.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 am

Oooooh... I love that setup :D

Personally I would pretty much say Warlord is a must in a small galaxy as you need to get as many CPs as fast as you can.
Ship Attack & Defence bonii are VERY useful as well as it is very likely that the game won't last long enough for the tech that nullify those advantages to come into play.
Same goes for Ground Combat, although to a lesser extent.

Get some basic tech. together and get a scout frigate out as soon as poss. to find any useful planets nearby, and also to hoover up any one-time specials before anyone else does.
Then its time for tech - get auto facts & res labs first, then fill up any planets in your home system.
In the meantime get Construction to 250 for Battle Pods, Chemistry to 250 for Tritanium Armour, Energy to 250 for basic shields, Energy to 250 for Fusion Drives, and lastly Physics to 250 for Battle Scanners.
It doesn't really matter what order you tech in, but I'd be inclined to do Chemistry 1st to get that HP and GC bonus.

Now, you've got all that gubbins so you'll need to build some ships to fill up all those lovely CPs from our Warlord colonies.
Basically, all my ships for this galaxy would use the same basic template:

A shield.
A Battle Scanner
Battle Pods
As many AF/CO/NR Lasers as will fit on the hull.
Take one of the lasers off, then fill the rest of the space with whatever bombs leaving at least 1 hull space free.

These will be able to take down missiles and fighters with impunity and still be able to rip other ships to pieces fairly quickly.
Also, because Lasers are pretty weak even with the mods, you'll be able to disable rather than destroy a much larger proportion of your opponents fleets. (You did pick +GC right?)

Build a few Frigates & Destroyers first, it sounds like a waste but they're only there to cover your backside while you build some Cruisers, then they can cover you while you build BBs.
Keep all the ships until you hit the CP limit you never know when someone might come to 'play', then bin the Frigates, build Transports and go forth on a glorious and bloody adventure making liberal use of Outpost ships. :wink:

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”