Strategy Testing with Race Picks and Tech Path.....

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Dustin
Strategy Testing with Race Picks and Tech Path.....

Postby Dustin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Democratic (7) because i want to see / use a good clean science / money strategy early on. Clean because, no Pollution to science or Money. (no waste, causeing a loss of efficiency and resources)....
Subterranean (6) because in combination with Cloning Centers = 400 RP, basically, you need the extra space for extra population.
Large Home World (1) because in combo with the above, works well.
Spying (-3) because 400 RP = Neural Scanner
Ship Offense (-2) because 50 RP = Electronic Computer to offset it.
Ground Combat (-2) because this is the least of your worries.
Rules: Trying it out w/o being Unification, Repulsive, -Pop Growith, Uncreative, or Low-G.

Now, with +6 picks, and -3 picks to choose from what would be best?

Also, I was thinking of an early tech path?
I could try to get to Cloning Centers ASAP, by researching Hydroponic Farms first, or I could get Research Labs. When I get my Colony Bases, i want to have Auto Facs up quickily to take advantage of early 1 pop housing. Then, i want Freighters, and then Colony Ships, Xeno Psychology, Neural Scanners, Holo Simulators, and Robo-Miners. But, before i make my first attack, i want Merculite Missles.... so i can have the MIRV Nuculear Missle. Is this too much to ask for by 100 turns into the game? What would be the order to research them? And then -- What early technologies am i missing?

Any help will / would be appreciated, Thanks.

For the time being, we'll assume the size of the Galaxy is HUGE. But, would also be willing to hear smaller galaxy strategies.

rewster1

Postby rewster1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:43 am

Given your rules, you don't leave a lot of options for negatives.
Prod, research, food penalties are all horrible ideas, money is not good either (especially if you are relying on cash from demo to buy stuff).
Negative spying is a bad idea because demo already has -10... if there isn't a good reason for not picking repulsive, I'd change that rule. Otherwise, you're probably better off only taking 3 more positive picks and not bothering with another negative. For the 3 positive, you could take artifacts, or plus 1 res. I suppose instead you could take ship defense as a negative and have aquatic for even more pop (and much needed food), or +.5 BC for some synergy in the cash department.

Also, cloning centers are nice, but with the race you outlined, exactly HALF of your pop is going to be farming :shock: , which is completely non-competitive, unless you build those hydros, and then its slightly less than half. Soil enrichment is a requirement to not be quite as "subsistence farm"-like.

If your strategy is cash/research, maybe try the demo-cash race: demo, aqua, +1BC. Aqua gives you a pop bonus, though less than sub, but you really need some sort of food bonus to be competitive. Negative spying is a bad idea because demo already has -10, so I would take repulsive and ground combat/ship defense.

Time

Postby Time » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:45 pm

(7) Democracy
(5) Aquatic
(6) Production +2
(2) Rich Home World

This gives you your Democracy, a popmax modifer, a food modifer, and production modifiers. You will still want to research soils as this will give you the 4 food/terran planet usually sought (and more food on desert and arid worlds).
The Production modifiers will help on planets Housing, especially on HW with 7 Prod/worker.
And, you will want to build ships and buildings upto the halfway mark quickly, so, you can buy them with your Demo's cash.

Never take (-3) with Democracy! Once you have lost starbases to enemy spys, you will understand why.
The only time this penalty can be chosen safely, is if Telepathic is one of your race picks, or Uni (if you won't be spying).

Ship Offense is usually not a good choice either, as you will likely lose initiative and lose ships before they can fire. Not to mention, it forces you to choose a computer early, which means losing a critical Research building (RLabs, PComps) that will complement your Demo's research bonus.

Penalties:
The usual would be best here.
(-6) Repulsive is always good in 1vs1 games (you won't be trading anyway).
(-2) Grnd Combat
(-2) Ship Def.

Research path:
Start with the standard First:
Rlabs, RHull, AFacts.

Then its up to you, if you want to go to NeuralScan/Pcomps path, BPods/Spaceport/Robos path, or range 6/Mercs/Atmos path.
That last one is better on small/medium maps.
Last edited by Time on Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:24 am

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html here you have a good guide how to be competitive in games against humans. After reading this you should change a lot in your gameplay :).

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”