Charismatic vs. "famous" leader

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
rewster1
Charismatic vs. "famous" leader

Postby rewster1 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:06 pm

I posted this as a reply in the suggestions forum but I think it makes more sense here.
I was wondering about the charismatic pick. I've been testing it a bit recently, and occasionally in a pre-warp, average tech, org rich large galaxy SP game I'll get Mentox (free autolabs and rlabs) by turn 66. But I'm just hitting the turn button, so I don't know yet if building up your empire changes things.
I've also gotten Knossos (dim portal) by turn 12(!), and the Terraforming guy in the 30s, and the "telepathic training" girl at random times.
So you can get some very nice techs pretty early (OK, in MP I guess Dimensional portal is probably pointless... but still.)
I've also gotten Federation, and possibly some others I've forgotten, all before turn 150. I should write these things down.

What I was really wondering about is how charismatic compares to the "famous" ability... would it be approximately equal to a say, level 3 famous leader? Is there a way to check this out in one of the LBX files?

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:59 am

Hi! charismatic is not much popular in MP games since almost must have negative pick is repulsive. It's naive to count only on a chance to get good leader to help you win the game (especially when you might engage in war at t 60-100) . Developing your economy is much better choice. So i doubt anyone can give an answer of your question :).

StepNRazor

Charisma vs famous

Postby StepNRazor » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:37 am

I think you are compareing aples with oranges or even rotten aples with oranges. the famous leader will attract leaders but if your but ugly and rude as hell repulsive the leaders you attract are the dregs of space, however if you charismatic you wil attract the good the bad and the ugly more often the good.
I think you are comparing frequeny of a leader showing up with famous vs quality of leadeer wit charisma.
I have seen charsima played well, as you also get ship leader navi leaders early on can make for early attacks.
But to bring back Cab's point of view playing vs humans you should have some ships built and ready to battle much sooner than in solo player, and in muli player it is much better to give than recieve so attack 1st if you can,

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:40 am

It's generally better not to use it in multi player games but it can work in single-player, but then most picks can do that.

If I could redesign the hero system I would have it yield multiple choices each time it does a hero check. Those with repulsive would get fewer choices to pick from, usually the worst heroes in the game. Normal would get average picks while Charismatic would get the top leaders in the game. I would probably allow players to have more heroes than what it currently does.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”