Odds/formula for capturing a tech?

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
PsyDev
Odds/formula for capturing a tech?

Postby PsyDev » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:21 pm

Can someone please tell me the odds for capturing a tech when you capture a colony?
It seems that if I bombard beforehand, it is less likely. Sometimes though I capture nothing, even if the population is large, there are a lot of buildings, and there is even a building on the colony that requires a tech I don't have (!). This seems rather funny... if the guy has a hydroponic farm or whatever, you would think that occupying the planet would teach you it.

What are the odds/important criteria?

techn0mage

Re: Odds/formula for capturing a tech?

Postby techn0mage » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Can someone please tell me the odds for capturing a tech when you capture a colony?
It seems that if I bombard beforehand, it is less likely. Sometimes though I capture nothing, even if the population is large, there are a lot of buildings, and there is even a building on the colony that requires a tech I don't have (!). This seems rather funny... if the guy has a hydroponic farm or whatever, you would think that occupying the planet would teach you it.

In the original MOO1, the more factories that were left standing on the planet after the invasion, the greater the chance you could capture tech.

I believe this translates into 'leave the buildings standing for the greatest chance' in MOO2. This means don't bombard, bring lots of troops, and be prepared to fight them to the last man on the ground. I can't say I read this in the rules or anything, but this has been my experience. If you capture a few planets each with 12 buildings, you will probably get more than a few techs.

i don't believe the game goes directly and says that if you capture a building, you MUST get the tech for that building. Although, maybe if you scrap the building....? I doubt it but worth a try.

Matthew

Re: Odds/formula for capturing a tech?

Postby Matthew » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:35 am

In the original MOO1, the more factories that were left standing on the planet after the invasion, the greater the chance you could capture tech.

I believe this translates into 'leave the buildings standing for the greatest chance' in MOO2. This means don't bombard, bring lots of troops, and be prepared to fight them to the last man on the ground. I can't say I read this in the rules or anything, but this has been my experience. If you capture a few planets each with 12 buildings, you will probably get more than a few techs.

i don't believe the game goes directly and says that if you capture a building, you MUST get the tech for that building. Although, maybe if you scrap the building....? I doubt it but worth a try.
This might be correct. I haven't studied the code for it but using Mind Control seems to yield more techs than the traditional bombardment/ground assault method for capturing planets.

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:00 pm

Sometimes I bypass robo miners for powered armor, I have noticed power armor gets you tech on capture 70% of the time. Don't bomb let your powered armor troops rip em up.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”