seemingly needless techs

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
PsyDev
seemingly needless techs

Postby PsyDev » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:58 am

Hey, everyone. I just joined this forum, it looks great. Nothing like hard core moo2 discussion.

Anyway I'm playing a game right now and I'm at distortion fields. Sometimes I get to a tech level and I don't want to go any further because there's nothing I really "need". Right now in force fields, I can pick:
Cloaking Device
Hard Shields
Stasis Field

Which would you guys pick? Stasis field is pretty good but I never really use it. Does anyone ever use hard shields? Cloaking device? I kind of like the cloaking device but generally never "need" to use it, it's more of a "this is fun" kind of thing when I'm already winning. I don't know how to use it that well to really rock, unless maybe I would use it to get up close to an enemy and capture their ship. Does anyone think of any of these techs "oh boy, once I get [one of these 3 techs], I'm going to rock"? Or does anyone know how they can use the cloaking device to really save their game?

I've can't remember seeing the AI use a cloaking device. Anyone here?

I guess I could see hard shields maybe being useful in a multiplayer game if the opponent was using shield-piercing weapons... any comments?

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 pm

I dunno - perhaps Hard Shields since they void shield piercing weapons. Didn't the AI use cloaking devices in the original MOO?

About those Shield Piercing weapons, I have a question.

Isn't the ship's blue bar its shield strength? Why do Shield Piercing weapons hit the blue bar instead of going straight for armor and structure. I was trying them out and it seems that Shield Piercing weapons are a lot less useful than I thought.

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:24 pm

Cloaking Device should be good if you're not going to get initiative - if you've got that setting turned on. I've seen the AI use Stasis Field against me effectively.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Stasis field is forbidden in MP games.
Hard shields rock here because ( as you mentioned) it neutralize shield piercing phasors and (even more important) make transporters useless. It also make shields working in nebula.
About cloakig device... you can surprise your enemy with invisible, almost impossible to hit fleet (till the first action). But Hard shields is the tech of my choice here.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:28 am

Hard Shields also. :)
As they give the above mentioned bonuses, as well as adding +3 to the shield blocking power which is pretty damn useful.

Its only the blocking power that gets upgraded mind, the max. strength for the shield is still normal for its designated class.

TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:21 am

There are 4 things to look at in combat.

A green glow around your ship, it's blue bar, it's red bar, and it's yellow bar.

Green glow is your shields. Blue bar is your armor, red is internal bulkheads, and yellow is internal systems.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”