Total Newbie

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Mark
Total Newbie

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:08 am

Hallo,

I started playing MoO with no idea of the strategies. As an former civilization player it was no difficulty to understand some concepts and to have the upper hand until the average level. From that on it became much harder and I got overwhelmed by the AI

A few question

1. The most important is, how can I accelerate my growth in the beginning?

I try to begin with a colony in my system, cause it doesnt ake that much time.

How to continue? Colony ships take a lot of time and I dont know if it is woth building a colonyship as soon as possible.

How about building habitation first to have more worker that can go on?

Maybe bulding habitation and distribute the colonists all over my empire on planets which are barely beginning to develop?

2. Some (at least one or two) concurrents will attack me with their fleets.
Building own heave ships also take a lot of time and prevent the planet from buliding improvements or colony ships for a long time. On the other hand you can only defend your whole empire with a flexible fleet.

Maybe that problem is a consequence of 1. (my slow growth)

If I have more planets, it wont be that devastating to have one blocked by building of a Battleship (or later on Titan)

3. What I did not know at the beginning is, that most research is made by improvements. So is it right, that research bonus for a race is quite uneffective?

How about creative instead?

I tried sometimes creative and lithoverden for - money, - reasearch, - ground battle (I dont see a reason for good grounf batlrle, cause if an enemy cannot invade you, he will maybe simply bombard you)

4. I try to build automatic factory, reasearch lab and hydroponic farm quite soon in the game. Could you build it too early?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:39 am

Have you read the strategy guide on Siron's site? I've also posted one here.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm

See these guides for answers:

viewtopic.php?p=137#137

There is also a save archive and youtube video to analyze the expansion phase in detail.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:24 pm

Thank you for your advices.

Meanwhile I learned a little further by doing already, but there is still much to learn from your strategy guides.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”