Newbie Question

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Phyrrus
Newbie Question

Postby Phyrrus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:13 am

I've played single player for a while now, and I often find that the following ship designs dominate space battles against the AI, I usually play a UniAquaTeleOmniWarlord race with weaknesses in all combat, spying, and population. I setup "breeder" colonies and large freighter fleets to ease the population problem, telepathic and uni cancels out spying and ground combat weaknesses, as for the space combat weakness warlord (superior numbers and exp) should help a little, also omni can provide valuable intelligence that will allow my fleets to be in the right place at the right time, i hope omni isnt banned online :)

**Torpedo Boat**
class: destroyer
shields: optional
weapons: best missles (2 ammunition)
comments: effective, but runs out of ammo after 2 salvos

**Light Carrier**
shields: no room
weapons: interceptor squadron x2
comments: cheap, easy to spam

**Assault Carrier**
shields: optional
weapons: interceptor squadron x1, best missles (2 ammunition)
comments: carrier with room for shields

I find that when used en masse, these fleets can destroy anything the AI has to offer, and they can be quickly refitted, I just want to know how well this will fare in multiplayer? I currently see no efficient counter for the mass missle/interceptor salvos. And when sufficient fuel/drive tech has been traded/researched/stolen, how do you counter mass blockades?

i just want to see what the experts have to say and refine my strategy, so i won't get pwned too badly when i play online
"Quantity has a quality of its own" -Joseph Stalin

siron

Postby siron » Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 am

fighters are crap in mp. they are useless after opponent researched battlescanner. Several options:

1) Build empty FFs for self destruction
2) Build empty FFs with battlepods and augeng....that run around the screen, fighters never catch them.
3) Build beam ships (after space academies). Even laser on battlescanner level (with NR, AF, CON mods) can easily shoot down these fighters. Take normal mount 360 or bx and fly to your own corner to gain several combat rounds to shoot them down.
4) In general, you wont have rhull when you teched fighters in MP games. So some hv beam is very useful and hits the drive of your carriers quite easily --> chain reaction...when you have just DDs one good shot can kill 3-4 DDs.

4 doesnt apply for missiles. Missiles are also bit faster, but after the opponent research fusion env pd (on neutron scanner level) only emg upgraded missiles are a decent choice. But you should also have beamers...it simply gives you more options in a battle...(can shoot down some missiles which target small runners (see point 2). A surviving runner means you won that battle.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue May 01, 2007 10:00 am

Fighters really need some mods like fast or heavy or something. The stock fighters in game are pretty weak.

Phyrrus

Postby Phyrrus » Tue May 01, 2007 10:08 am

It seems that in multiplayer the tactical battles are much more nasty, those upgraded and modified weapons complicate things heh

..and about fusion weapons, don't they have double range dissipation? Lasers seem to have more range and more modifying options early-mid game, sorry but i was never a big fan of energy weapons :)
"Quantity has a quality of its own" -Joseph Stalin

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”