Speed vs. Creative vs. Endurance

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Matthew
Speed vs. Creative vs. Endurance

Postby Matthew » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:34 pm

It occurred to me that some races can develop quickly but will not endure a long drawn out game and other races don't develop quickly enough.

Take for instance a Creative Pick like UniSubTCreative. In the standard online game, this race can rule if it is allowed to develop long enough.

A speedier pick like UniAquaProd2LRHW will develop at a much faster pace but won't have access to all the techs like creative. If it is up against the previous race it will have to strike a decisive blow early to win.

Another slow but strong race pick is UniAquaSubT. This race has the most room to grow but will develop at a slower pace than most. If up against Creative, it will probably lose no matter how big the population gets because it doesn't have access to all the technology. If the opponent isn't playing creative, this race has great endurance for the long haul.

So how do you balance speed vs. endurance?
Last edited by Matthew on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Well.... if you're race grows fast enough that alone is enough to balance out some downsides that would otherwise be crippling.

like LithTolFeudal

Most races would find their research crippled, but being able to mass produce colony ships gives them enough population that it doesn't matter.

siron

Postby siron » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:02 pm

Feudal is just for blitz with military, cships wont work.

Even a lith tol feudal cant compensate the research malus.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:56 pm

:shock: Feudal doesn't reduce cost of colony ships?

siron

Postby siron » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:21 pm

That bonus works. But not sufficiently. It can't compete against Unification.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 am

I would have to agree with Siron. It's difficult to imagine LithTolFeudal competing with UniTolProd1 or any other Uni race.

Feudal might work on small blitz oriented maps, but the majority of online games are setup with large maps and no wormholes. Even if the LTF race expanded 33% faster, it would fall behind in tech by more than 50% over the course of first 100 turns. You might have more ships but they would be poorly matched agaisnt the Uni's.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Hmm... Depends, what's the downside to the Uni race?

:p hehe... actually I see the point. Using it in Single player worked mainly because the AIs were intimidated by the sheer size of my empire. I was able to starte building colony ships at a rate of 1 every 2-3 turns though. (entire population of fully populated homeworld building colony ships)

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:10 am

The only real downside to Uni is that you don't get any morale effects.

When I say downside, its more like a plus in the beginning with its effect becomming more negative as time progresses.
Personally I've always veiwed Uni as a short-to-mid term play choice as the morale boosts you can get later on can easily outstrip the Uni bonus if (and its a big if) the game goes on long enough.

Think of it as trading future potential for a boost now.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:57 am

The only real downside to Uni is that you don't get any morale effects.
No I meant that as a UniTolProd race you have to take several downsides to balance it out. One of the reasons I like Feudal is that it lessens the disadvantages.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:45 pm

The problem with the moral boosting techs is that you have to give up some other nice technology to get them. For Feudal and Dictatorship, you also have to spend a lot of the early game on building Marine Barracks.

There just isn't that kind of time to mess around in online games.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”