Opinions need about custom race

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Venshad
Opinions need about custom race

Postby Venshad » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:59 am

Hi!

First of all, I'd like to express my joy to see that so many people are still playing MOO2! I really love this game and want to share with you the race I've developed (of course I want some comments on it :wink: )

Dictatorship
-50 Population Growth
-10 Espionage
-1/2 Farm Production
+1 Industry Production
Cybernetic
Creative
Warlord
Large Homeworld

I've never played MOO2 against othe players, so I've developed this race to better fight the AI. My strategy is quite simple: colonize 1 or 2 systems (I like to play in small galaxies) and develop technology fast (trading and researching with neighbours).

Thats it! I hope you find this race a good choice!

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 am

The -50 Population Growth is probably the worst possible pick there is. Population growth is one of the key factors to winning. The more population you have the faster you can tech and build a strong fleet.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:56 am

The -50 Population Growth is probably the worst possible pick there is
This pick is playable in some setups and some races ( try uni aqua 2 prod LR hw). But generally your race can't compete in MP games... See this link http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html to find good races for MP.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:46 am

The -50 Population Growth is probably the worst possible pick there is
This pick is playable in some setups and some races ( try uni aqua 2 prod LR hw). But generally your race can't compete in MP games... See this link http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html to find good races for MP.
This race pick probably be playable vs. the AI but it would be challenging.

I generally agree with with the strategy guide on the primary factors to winning in MP. Population growth seems to be the primary means of winning. This race pick might work with a blitzing strategy in a small galaxy with lots of wormholes. In that case, you would just immediately build a fleet and blitz the nearest race. You don't need to grow population so much as conquer all the other rivals very quickly.

edit:
I tried out a variant of this race with the standard 1.31 windows version.

The version that I tried was Feudal, +2 Prod, Cybernetic, Telepathic, etc. The settings were Impossible AI, Medium size, Average tech, Average Age. I was able to capture a few planets with cruisers before they had much of a defense but was unable to take any Home worlds. The Silicoids ended up with too big of an advantage mid-game. There was no way to catch-up.

W4st

Postby W4st » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:05 pm

-50 Pop isn't much of a handicap against the AI. Since the AI doesn't use housing planets, you still can out-pop the AI easily with -50 Pop, even without Clones.

Personally, I find the easiest way to crush the AI on Impossible / Small Galaxy / 8 opponents is a production race with +20 Espionage and Warlord. I use Warlord to maintain an early, strong, cheap fleet, then once production gets going I steal technology like crazy, build better fleets, and... well, actually, at that point I usually quit because I'm so far ahead that there's no chance of losing anymore and I'd rather not spend the next 3 hours micro-managing a sure victory...

Venshad

Postby Venshad » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi!

Thanks for all comments!

As I said before, I´ve never played in MP games... My experience is limited to the AI.

This race works fine for me because I really dislike to micromanage too many planets, so I normally focus in my homeworld and in any other planet in the system.

As I can see, my strategy is more of a Science race than of a Production race.

The race I am playing now (Small Galaxy, Impossible AI, 8 opponents, Mid Age and Mid Climates) is a bit different from the topic above. Realizing that I prefer a Science race, I changed +1 Prod to +1 Science. Now I think it is better than before.

Thanks again!

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:07 pm

Uni Aqua Science+1 and Prod+1 (-Ship Def, -GC, Repulsive) is a good race for MP. You might drop the Repulsive and Uni if you are playing against the AI. The AI will give you plenty of time to buid barracks.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”