about capturing ships

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
medwar
about capturing ships

Postby medwar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 am

Hi all!
I have a few questions: what bonuses from "powered armor +10GC +1hits" are applied to ship crew combat for capturing ships?
Only +10, giving no bonuses at all from +1 hit, or I am mistaken?
Same question about "Hi-G World" race pick, what it gives to ship crews.
The crew XP level like "regular", "veteran" - does it give something to combat bonus when capturing ships? If gives, then how much?

And, by the way, have ure ever managed to run a strategy based on capturing ships in online games? Can there be usage for assault shuttles in multiplayer? Or human will always self-destruct his ship?

thanks 4 ur answers in advance)
Last edited by medwar on Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

medwar

Postby medwar » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:57 am

and, if it exists, does the ship crew level bonus apply to marines on assault shuttles?

medwar

Postby medwar » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:16 pm

found answers to all of these, single question remains:

have ure ever managed to run a strategy based on capturing ships in online games? Can there be usage for assault shuttles and so on in multiplayer? Or human will always self-destruct his ship?

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:42 pm

found answers to all of these, single question remains:

have ure ever managed to run a strategy based on capturing ships in online games? Can there be usage for assault shuttles and so on in multiplayer? Or human will always self-destruct his ship?
It happens occasionally. Most people wait until the last minute to self-destruct. The game typically isn't decided by tactical combat prowess. It is more often by how fast you can grow pop, research new techs and build a strong enough fleet.

siron

Postby siron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Capturing ships is always a popular motif in battles. Fast transporters or tractor beam ships are well known and very effective with good ground combat value. A right EMG missile dose can also immobilize. But assault shuttles are because of their low speed unpopular.

Zirkahn also tried to establish a heavy-G-race to emphasize the ground combat advantage, though he rarely had success with that race. The economical costs (missing +2 prod for example) of a HG pick are generally too large.

medwar

Postby medwar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:43 am

hmm...
I cannot understand why take Hi-G, even if close eyes on loss of potencial +2 production.
In the thread about capturing antarans
(viewtopic.php?t=287) it is said that Hi-G only gives +1 hits to ground troops, and not to ship crews. So Hi-G race only needs fewer transports. But what sense can be in taking this pick when u can take Tele, which cancels transports at all, at the same cost?

Or I am mistaken with the bonuses? I tested this on AI using save editor, and as i saw, +1 hit from Hi-G racepick or power armor doesn't give anything to ship crews.

medwar

Postby medwar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:59 am

And, by the way. I haven't notice any bonus from crew experience level. Maybe, it is simply not listed when combat occurs. But i haven't noticed higher effectiveness of troops.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:44 pm

hmm...
I cannot understand why take Hi-G, even if close eyes on loss of potencial +2 production.
In the thread about capturing antarans
(viewtopic.php?t=287) it is said that Hi-G only gives +1 hits to ground troops, and not to ship crews. So Hi-G race only needs fewer transports. But what sense can be in taking this pick when u can take Tele, which cancels transports at all, at the same cost?

Or I am mistaken with the bonuses? I tested this on AI using save editor, and as i saw, +1 hit from Hi-G racepick or power armor doesn't give anything to ship crews.
One reason you might pick it is so that you can avoid the negative effects of colonizing High-G planets. I'm not sure how well that works out in reality but it sounds reasonable enough. In a few games, I've seen a lot of Ultra Rich High-G planets. It would've been nice to have the High-G race pick then. The combat bonus alone certainly wouldn't be enough to justify it. There are worse picks though.

siron

Postby siron » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:22 pm

The +1 hit bonus of HG and powered armor is surely applied to ship crews. (There is just no entry in the combat screen where it could be listed.) And it is a mighty bonus.

Though you are correct that the crew level bonus (isn't displayed and) doesn't apply as mentioned in the manual. A bug that I haven't included in the bug list yet. Thanks for your observation.

medwar

Postby medwar » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:59 am

Thanks a lot! Now it seems clear.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”