Playing without custom races

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
refugee
Playing without custom races

Postby refugee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:14 am

Hey guys, lately i have been playing Moo2 via dosbox with a friend of mine. We have been playing it against each other for 5 or so years and decided it was time to spice things up a little. So we have started randomly choosing the standard races by rolling dice. Now here is my question. Does anybody have any tips for playing the slow races like the Mrsshan or the Bulrathi. It's just that we were hoping playing these races would help our games out by making us veiw the game differently but instead it just ends up a one sided victory for whoever got a half decent race. Cheers.

Matthew

Re: Playing without custom races

Postby Matthew » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Hey guys, lately i have been playing Moo2 via dosbox with a friend of mine. We have been playing it against each other for 5 or so years and decided it was time to spice things up a little. So we have started randomly choosing the standard races by rolling dice. Now here is my question. Does anybody have any tips for playing the slow races like the Mrsshan or the Bulrathi. It's just that we were hoping playing these races would help our games out by making us veiw the game differently but instead it just ends up a one sided victory for whoever got a half decent race. Cheers.
For MP, you're better off choosing a custom race.

refugee

Postby refugee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:24 pm

I realise that you're better off choosing a custom race. I was just wondering if anyone new how to play the slow computer designed races.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:38 am

Except mebbe silicoids, playing custom races is a masochism. If you are a masochist feel free to play it this way ;D

pyro

Postby pyro » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:58 pm

If you want to spice things up, maybe choose custom races but make uncreative a mandatory pick ?

hyperios

naw

Postby hyperios » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:41 am

the hardest fault to play with is -50% population. trust me, its a killer. although, that is until you get cloning centers (if you get them). uncreative means didly squat cuz you always have a chance to steal or capture sciences. besides, it makes it "less complicated" to choose sciences, does it not?

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:19 am

Well.. uncreative is far more harmfull than - pop. You're dead meat if you have no factories and reslabs at the begining. About - pop pick..its playable with demolith arti or for example uni aqua 2 prod LRhw if you use housing properly. Take a look at Cyber's guide for details http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Playing without custom races

Postby Lord Brazen » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:34 pm

Back to the original topic...
Does anybody have any tips for playing the slow races like the Mrsshan or the Bulrathi.
I play stock races against the AI often. The only effective way to play the Mrsshan is to invade your neighbors as quickly as possible. Just scrap your starbase at the beginning and use it to fund your fleet. Build a couple destroyers. Use your initial cship strategically instead of an outpost to extend your range. Find someone and strike.

It only takes 3-4 destroyers to take out an AI. Tech only what you need for the invasion (battle scanners and fusion riffles) initially. Once you have a few AI systems, you will have plenty of slaves offset the Mrsshan's weak race picks.

Of course if you play against a human, the idea is the same. Blitz em. The sooner you find them, the better. Blockade their systems if your fleet is not strong enough to take out their defenses.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

refugee

Postby refugee » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:12 pm

cheers. Lord Brazen that was the kind of thing i was looking for. However how would you get to them if you were playing with a prewarp start?

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”