Comparing Unification with Feudalism for blitz purposes, regular moo

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Dukinson
Re: Comparing Unification with Feudalism for blitz purposes, regular moo

Postby Dukinson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Darza, your graph is a masterpiece. I simply must print and frame it.

Rocco, ah interesting a video. I can hear your alluring dutch accent.

Interesting video and tactic, maybe this is why you made telepathic an astonishing 15 picks or so in your mod. I would say this isn't a typical game setting, a small galaxy crammed with opponents, I'm sure you know that. If you can reach your enemy that quickly, this strategy is amazing. However, most play on a larger galaxy giving your enemies much more time to build up, tech, and weaken this tactics effectiveness. There are many tactics on such a small galaxy that will obliterate a race outright. I'd still go with the almighty unification if my empire was on the line. You're gonna need to make that ability 20 picks or so in your mod before it's weaker than the others. In the base vanilla game, it's unstoppable.
A cob of corn in every pot, an outpost ship with fuel tanks in every garage, and two command points for every colony!

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:15 am

Rocco, ah interesting a video. I can hear your alluring dutch accent.
Mmm, must have been due to my cheap quality microphone :)
Interesting video and tactic, maybe this is why you made telepathic an astonishing 15 picks or so in your mod.
Correct and at that price I would still take it as Telepathic and TransDi are the essential ingredients for a Blitz strategy. Note also that while 15 looks like a huge increase, in "vanilla terms" the ice cost for Tele is 6.7 picks, which is not such a dramatic increase at all compared to 6. Offcourse you do also get less spy bonus at +5 instead of 10, the worth would be 2.5 picks in ice terms.
And if you also take into account TranDi decreased in price from 10 to 8 picks, the increase of the combi is negligable at +1 nett or a theoretical +3.5 accounting for spy value loss.
I would say this isn't a typical game setting, a small galaxy crammed with opponents, I'm sure you know that.
What is a 'typical game setting'? Blitz is often played in a small/8 universe and in huge/8 as well.
However, most play on a larger galaxy giving your enemies much more time to build up, tech, and weaken this tactics effectiveness.

Mwah, in classic I played this same strategy in Huge/8 galaxies a lot and it is surprising how many turns you can go around before a.i. opponent invents any tech of real consequence. R. Hull or Trit armor not more than an 'annoyance', ECM Jammer is a bit tough if you haven't switched to fighters in time.
I'd still go with the almighty unification if my empire was on the line. You're gonna need to make that ability 20 picks or so in your mod before it's weaker than the others. In the base vanilla game, it's unstoppable.
Why not try to play a weaker race against a.i.? Can be of some fun. In classic one of my races was simple 'Dictatorship + nothing' to up the ante. Some players use weakest races, like Dict, -Cash which is quite hard.
Last edited by Rocco on Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:21 am

Though you can attack in two rounds. First round take out fleet and second get the starbase. Timewise it is about same as taking out starbase with interceptor cruiser, maybe a little faster.
What I usually try is to first take a possible fleet at the opponents newly created colony and then attack HW with Star Base. In that way there is no turn lost.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:17 am

When there is one you can do so. Usually however Ai doesn't build colony bases until late. I think it didn't do it either in your video, but landed CS in hw, which was a result of a small map.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”