Capturing Antaran Ships (single player)

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
siron

Postby siron » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes. Retreat could be the trigger. One should be able to test that.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:03 pm

I've noticed an AI flaw that will cause it to automatically self destruct ships that are immobile.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:32 am

I've noticed an AI flaw that will cause it to automatically self destruct ships that are immobile.
That is not a flaw. It is intentional. They do not want you to capture them.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:02 pm

That is not a flaw. It is intentional. They do not want you to capture them.
Well it does this even if you CAN'T capture them. It'll even do it if your ships are defenseless and they have you in firing range.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:09 am

Just a little observation...

When you disable an Antaran ship they usually self-destruct themselves right?
Well, if you have really inferior ships (we're talking laser frigates and such)and NO starbases/planet guns they will sit quite happily disabled on the spot firing all the while until the battle ends.
Weird.

siron

Postby siron » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:59 pm

You mean immobilized ships?

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:52 pm

Erm.... As far as I can tell they automatically blow up when immobilized as long as one of your ships is in the blast area.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:39 am

Yep, I mean immobilised ships.
Yep, I mean immobilised Antaran ships :P

If you have low-tech ships and somehow manage to knock thier engines out they'll just sit there letting you do whatever you like.
All they do is fire on anything that wanders into thier arc.
You can board to your hearts content, although every time i've seen this its been at the very early stage so your +10 troops are going to be lucky to even kill one of thier defenders.

Just for comparison i tried using destroyers, then cruisers (i couldn't build battleships fast enough :( ).
The same just sitting there happened with DDs, but not the cruisers where they *did* blow themselves up every time.

It's as if these small ships are just percieved as so little of a threat that the Anties just sit there having a picnic waiting for all these annoying buzzing things to leave them alone :P

siron

Postby siron » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:55 pm

So your observation seems to contradict what other players recall...

TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:39 pm

I just played a game recently and I observed exactly what Tifi observed. I was running Orion95.exe with 1.3 patch.

Parabola

If your still having trouble doing this...

Postby Parabola » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:04 am

Hey if your still having trouble doing this I just successfully pulled it off:
Each ship was fitted only with Battle Pods / Assault Shuttles to a total of 39 AS's going at the one frigate. My troops were @ 30 bonus vs. their 100.
No Shields / No Computer
No Troop Pods (they don't benefit AS's - plus if you want to do this early game you won't want to waste time/space immobilizing it not even including their D. Field).

Oh also, if you do pull it off be sure to save before you scrap the ship, you might get junky tech like Quantum Detonator.

Hope that helps!

TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:19 am

Tricks to Evolutionary Mutations

Pick -Ship attack and def for starting picks when you get evo mutation you can unselect these + the 4 picks for Evo mutation and any other unspent picks from start. This will give (at minimum) +8 picks.

Have fun. ^.^

Juju Dredd

High gravity is the key

Postby Juju Dredd » Sun May 10, 2009 7:11 am

You could think this is losing six pick points, but the high gravity pick will be a great help, far better than the +40 ground combat pick. If you're not creative it will also help you because it will make the gravity generator really less usefull, so it won't hurt you too much to purchase the tractor beam technology.

When I want to capture antarians ships, I try to cumulate creative and high gravity world.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”