Hydroponic farms

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Lavarn
Hydroponic farms

Postby Lavarn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:21 pm

While Biospheres are strictly superior to Hydroponic Farms in almost all cases, there are times when I end up with the Hydroponic Farm tech anyway (creative, spying, finding artifacts planet, etc). I was wondering if it is generally a good idea to build it at all. The maintainence cost of 2 BC is pretty harsh. If I build it on a non-farming planet, then I know I am saving myself two freighters, and I think that's 1 BC per turn saved right there (correct me if I'm wrong). So in that case it's really only costing me 1 BC per turn. Combined with the fact that if I build them on a bunch of non-farming planets, I'm going to start freeing up a few pop on my farming planets, which is definitely worth something. So based on this I come to the conclusion that maybe it is worth it to build Hydroponic Farm on non-farming planets but not on farming ones? There is also the time/cost of building it to consider.

Just wondering what people here usually do when they somehow end up with the Hydroponic Farm tech.

KFizzle

Postby KFizzle » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:45 am

typically, i always get biospheres since it adds 2 extra pop all the time.
so if i got 10 colonies, thats a good 20 extra pop.

id always choose bios over hydros.

but sometimes there are cases where i might choose hydros.
say if im unisub +2prod or something, or without +1 food/aqua, then i might get hydros, so i can race for supers and get supers by turn 60-65. otherwise i wouldnt dare get hydros.

if i got hydros by luck from arti or whatever, then i might build em on non farming planets if your stats are correct, otherwise id hardly ever bother with them.

thats the hard thing about playing creative, is trying to figure out which buildings to build, and which buildings to ignore.

moregan@sol.dk

Postby moregan@sol.dk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:55 am

what is supers ?

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:05 am

building: "supercomputer" = supers

+10 RP and +2RP for every POP on research.
Last edited by ALEX|D on Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

moregan@sol.dk

Postby moregan@sol.dk » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:34 am

thx ALEX|D

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:50 am

np

Bios r better than hydro farms because uni is mostly the best government and has food 50% boni.
And with the housing technique u can pop up fast.

I think cos of these two reasons hydros r unalluring to take.

It would be cool if Biospheres work like terraforming, increasing costs.

1) bios give + 1maxpop = costs 50pp
2) bios give further + 1maxpop = costs 250pp
3) bios give further + 1maxpop = costs 2000pp
4) and so on ...

siron

Postby siron » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:24 pm

Simply compare hydroponics with the alternatives you can build. Especially on housing planets you should compare it with a pop unit which you can transfer to a farming planet.

Pop Unit will generate more food and will also give you 1BC taxes. So in most cases housing is simply better than a hydro farm. When you cant house any longer compare it with other buildings.

Generally, Creative Races build them after robo miners or even after poll procs.

Ianagod

Postby Ianagod » Thu May 25, 2006 12:51 am

Since no one is answering this mans question I will.

YES! If you get hydrofarms for any reason Creative spying o captued then use them for these reasons.

1. you do save money on the freighters but let me ask you . nearing the end of the game where 1 population can produce up too 30+ RP or 30+ production would you rather want that 1 guy on food OR saving you 60+ bc in buying bills.. or do you not value reasearch that high?

2. the biggest thing I love about hydro farms and sub farms is when I'm getting blockaded for a few turns. if you have about 18 pop on a colony and your blockaded for say 3-5 turns that's alot of starving poeple and you could be loseing up to -250 even more so then there is another 10 turns to re poopulate that planet to full again I ask you again would the 2 BC be worth saveing all those wasted turns at - population?

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”