Questions on Playstyle

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Ghata
Questions on Playstyle

Postby Ghata » Mon May 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Hello everyone,
Although I have been playing this game for a long time, I never had a lot of battles against human enemies. To be honest, there were only two games, where a human enemy was at least involved.
But at the moment some old friends of mine and I are planning to start the battle to find out who should be the emperor of Orion. We want to play on an average tech setting in a large, organic rich galaxy without any Ai opponents.

So first I did what is mostly recommended and read that guide:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.de/2005/ ... guide.html
I tried around against the AI and improved my starting strategy and I am rather confident with that issue right now. But there are still some things, which are not answered and I hope, that there is stille someone who can help me. (Of course I tried to find additional information, but most of it is for playing against the AI or is just contradictory to what I read here)

Spies
I read that spies are very tough in the early game, because the do not cost much and they can damage the enemy severly. So my question is: When should I start to train spies, how many of them should I produce?

My first ship
In the guide there is a lot of information, how you should build your ship and that there are the two type: missles or lasers. So I read somewhere decent that lasers are rather weak in the start of a game. But is that true? Should I start with missles and what should the ship look like? Is there important tech I should wait for? The AI does not build competative ships, so my experience here does not help alot. Also often I got the first battle ship later than turn 100 because I always waited longer and longer for new technologies.

Guarded planets
When is the right time to take a guarded planet? I do not know it, as the AI is not a good opponent. The problem I have is, that I habe to invest money in sometimes up to 10 frigates, which are rather useless in the end. Do I want to get such good planets as fast as possible or do I wait until the production of these ships does not hurt me and take such a planet rather late?

Changes
The guide is also rather old but I doubt, that there was an important patch, which changed something in the playstyle. But to be sure I want to know wheter there are parts of that guide which are outdated.

In the end I hope that someone will read this and have the time and will to answer those question in a detailed manner. I will be very thankfully for every help.

Best regards

Ghata

Overlord2

Re: Questions on Playstyle

Postby Overlord2 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:04 am

Hi,

Here are some answers to your questions:
Spies
I read that spies are very tough in the early game, because the do not cost much and they can damage the enemy severely. So my question is: When should I start to train spies, how many of them should I produce?
Depends on the aim - defense or offense, total spying bonus you got and number of opponent's spies, which you can only guess unless you're playing with report on, which shows how many spies he assigned on offense.
If you are undertaking offensive spying then as many as possible. In defense number of spies could be less because some government types provide defensive bonus. Also you should consider risk of being robbed. If there is nothing to steal from you, you can produce less defensive spies.
I've given formula on spying mechanics in this thread: http://spheriumnorth.com/orion-forum/nf ... f=9&t=1762
My first ship
In the guide there is a lot of information, how you should build your ship and that there are the two type: missiles or lasers. So I read somewhere decent that lasers are rather weak in the start of a game. But is that true? Should I start with missiles and what should the ship look like? Is there important tech I should wait for? The AI does not build competitive ships, so my experience here does not help a lot. Also often I got the first battle ship later than turn 100 because I always waited longer and longer for new technologies.
The earliest weapons in original moo2 are lasers if you don't consider interceptors. Missiles alone are bad strategy since laser ships beat ships with nukes. However building ships with lasers requires careful estimate of timing. Opponent can get better weapons by the time of attack or once he gets to mirv merculite missiles lasers become obsolete and no longer viable.
Guarded planets
When is the right time to take a guarded planet? I do not know it, as the AI is not a good opponent. The problem I have is, that I hate to invest money in sometimes up to 10 frigates, which are rather useless in the end. Do I want to get such good planets as fast as possible or do I wait until the production of these ships does not hurt me and take such a planet rather late?
This decision depends on particular map. If there is space to expand then usual timing of getting monster is after researching Supercomputers. If there is fewer worthy planets then early monster could be a good decision. Also 10 ffs are needed for hydra, dragon and crystal needs 8, amoeba and eel may be even less.
Changes
The guide is also rather old but I doubt, that there was an important patch, which changed something in the play style. But to be sure I want to know whether there are parts of that guide which are outdated.
The tech path in the guide is for long game and doesn't consider rush with lasers. Laser rush games have the following path:
1. Research Labs
2. Reinforced Hull
3. Auto Factories
4. Biospheres
5. Clones or Soil Enrichment
6. Battle Pods
7. Augmented Engines
8. Fusion beam
9. Battle Scanner
10. Deuterium cells
11. Ion drives while flying to the enemy.
The timing for such attack is as early as possible. Usually its 70s or 80s.

Also the first 10 items given in the guide are correct, however after getting robo miners the strategy could be very different. One can go straight for autolabs or cybertronic computer or one can go for amor and shields. Of course before that one should get the drives - either ion or anti-matter. Hope this helps.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”