Ship Design

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Matthew
Ship Design

Postby Matthew » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 pm

There seems to be only a bit of info around on good ship design for Moo2.

Here is what I have so far.

1) It is better to use an early tech weapon with a lot of MODs than a new tech with no mods. Example; MV Merculites do 56 damage while an Unmodified Pulson only does 20.

2) It is better to fill all the weapon slots instead of the increasing just the number of a certain weapon type. This allows you a greater range of flexibility in tactical combat.

3) It is better for ship to specialize missiles or beams instead of having both because this reduces the space requirements.

4) When building a missile ship it is better to use the first 1-2 rows for your best armor/hit point missiles and rest for the MV high damage missiles. Example; Put 2x ECCM,ARM,FST Pulson missiles in the first row and then put 2x MV,ECCM, FST Merculite missiles in the rest of the slots.

5) When building a beam weapon ship always put in battle scanners to improve accuracy. Put unmodified shield destroying beams in the first slot followed by higher damage modified beams in the rest of the slots. Use Pd beams when you know your opponent is using a lot of missiles but go HV beams when they are equipped to defend against missiles and not beams.

siron

Re: Ship Design

Postby siron » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:36 pm

4) When building a missile ship it is better to use the first 1-2 rows for your best armor/hit point missiles and rest for the MV high damage missiles. Example; Put 2x ECCM,ARM,FST Pulson missiles in the first row and then put 2x MV,ECCM, FST Merculite missiles in the rest of the slots.
I rarely take ECCM since ECM Jammers are not so popular.

Matthew

Re: Ship Design

Postby Matthew » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:03 pm

I rarely take ECCM since ECM Jammers are not so popular.
It seems like most players prefer to use Pd beams to shoot down missiles instead of trying to jam them so ARM is better than ECCM usually.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:35 am

Also self destructing ships is effective against missiles. It is usefull to have few(several) dd to cover your bbs that way, especially with poor (electronic) computer.

llylwyyn

Defensive beams

Postby llylwyyn » Sat May 27, 2006 9:56 pm

I have found that a stack of 3x regular Co Env Fusion beam - as opposed to point defense - have an all-around better rate of missle/fighter destruction than any other beam combo for that size (throughout the game). Auto pd co ap lasers destroy fewer missles/fighters for the size. Although anti-m rockets do just as good a job on missiles for that size, they cannot target fighters/shuttles. But the thing that really makes the Co Env Fusion beam an all-around high achiever is using it to wipe out shields if there aren't any missles or fighters to shoot. I like to have several rows of 3 stacks also because it's also a good way to immobilize a damaged ship without worrying about a core breach (a stack of 3 Co Env fusions does 30-40 damage at close range). I use 3x stack because I typically fill up every row with weapons and co env fusion beams take up little space, especially late-game. I put them on the top rows. I call them the all-around high achiever because of their consistency at destroying missiles/fighters/shuttles on a standard-design beam ship (which assumes you made academies and have over 75% base to-hit from comp or specials).
"Beer is the solution to and cause of all my problems. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a solution that needs probleming..."

siron

Postby siron » Mon May 29, 2006 5:55 pm

You are correct that these normal mounts are a pretty good choice. And against AI its pretty enough...Though be aware that Human opponents are a lot of smarter, so they will try to launch their missiles from point blank. And your normal mounts are totally useless in this case. So a good amount of pd is required to survive in our MP games.

llylwyyn

Postby llylwyyn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:12 pm

so they will try to launch their missiles from point blank.
That is evil... I love it! :twisted:

~
Dosbox runs like a slideshow on my notebook, but when I do finally upgrade I look forward to playing on Kali with you Moo2 pros. Moo2 is decidely one of the best games ever made, but playing on LAN gets old fast. Single player would be a lot better if the AI knew how to make ships..
"Beer is the solution to and cause of all my problems. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a solution that needs probleming..."

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:19 pm

Thats a good trick launching your missiles from point blank.

Early in the game I stack a fairly heavy beam weapon first (Mass driver, Fusion beam) then go with something like Ion cannons if it gets that far or laser beams followed by missiles. for missile defense I use the fusion beam setup llylwyyn posted or something close to it.

About mid game I use a ship with a good anti-sheild weapon followed by Ion cannons w/no missiles and a defense weapon as before.

If a game ever got to later stage I would build almost straight plasma cannons (heavy and 3x as defense) and it usually works well but I keep my systems 50/50 on defense and beam mods so only the best systems got put in.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”