Missiles vs Beams

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Matthew
Missiles vs Beams

Postby Matthew » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Which is usually better overall, missiles or beams?

It seems like Monsters are more vulnerable to missiles but if you run out of ammo about all you can do is retreat.

Beams don't work as well against monsters but you don't run out of ammo and if you tech to the higher levels they can be quite powerful.

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:30 pm

First off, I personally prefer beams. They're more fun, and more versatile in some situations.

But to be honest, missiles have a large advantage in a short to mid length game: the missile technology path is much more helpful to other empire needs than the beam tech path.

If you go up the tech tree to Zortrium armor, you not only get MIRV merc missiles, but you can have heavily armored ships, fuel to reach your opponent's space, and if you aren't a tolerant race, some production help in the form of pollution facilities. Research up the computer tree to get autolabs, which is often what you end up doing in a game of any length, and you can pick up EMG along the way wtihout having to divert research efforts.

Beams don't get that benefit. For a beam based ship, you have to research up the physics or fields trees, and you'll get a nice weapon or three, but you get very little empire development help along the way. Plus, you STILL need to go up the missile tech path, or else your nifty weapons will be on ships with no armor to speak of, and they won't be able to reach enemy space without hordes of outpost ships, and building them will take longer until you get pollution help (again, tolerant races excepted on that last point).

Beams can be used successfully, all I'm saying is that getting them in the first place is not as efficient.

As always, just my own personal thoughts.

-Gusset

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:27 pm

I have a question:

Besides scouts and Colony ships -- what is your first missle and beam ship built like and what is your best ship for taking out enemy Star Bases?

Is it a Medium Missle boat ship with 4 Nuclear Missles or
1 Large ship with 7 Merculite Missles, Reinforced Hall and Fast Missle Racks

or for beam weapons ships do you like to use
several Gravition Beams or Phasers along with a Reinforced Hall and Automated Repair? Note: Phasers is pretty middle/late game.

Many different combinations.

Later, Beam weapons go well with Ground Batteries for Defense in your colonies.

Zeon Missles are nice. Best Late game missle.
Get Zortium Armor and at least Ion Drive first.

Which is better Zeon missles or Anti-Matter Torps? :)

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”