List of Rules for Playing (LAN-)MOO2 vs human Players

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Medium galaxy size completely changes the situation and rush or blitz races may dominate over races without any war picks. Not sure which of the blitz race is the best, most probably elerian with telepathic.
ersion Used: VDC 36h with modified "vdcor.exe" to create a huge galaxy with 36 Systems, if "medium galaxy" is chosen
Do you say size of galaxy is changed for huge, when you choose medium?

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:07 am

Do you say size of galaxy is changed for huge, when you choose medium?
The Modification does this:

- If you choose huge map, there is no difference to non-modified Version.
- If you choose "medium" map, there will be created a huge map (as if you choose huge map) but the huge map will not be created with 80 Starsystems, the huge map will be created with 36 starsystems only.

Thus there will be much less systems/planets to colonize (leads to less micromanagement each turn, less research and production for everybody and allover quicker turns), before you reach the border of other Races. The average Distance between the Stars will be much higher, to Reseach at least iridium Ful Cells to be able to attack other players will be necessary. In Addition the defender usually has more time to react if attacked.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:02 am

OK, one more question on the modified exe. Does it include the nohousing change for +0 pop growth?

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:57 pm

OK, one more question on the modified exe. Does it include the nohousing change for +0 pop growth?
Yes :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:03 am

Here we go, Gnolam first attempt:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2u3pm2vzp5yjp1m/set1.rar

Set2, Sakkra: http://www.mediafire.com/file/t7fd9x3fpzyrhx7/set2.rar
This time I was having hard times with two neighbors, especially with elerian who got +75 offense and came up with class4 shield and AP, AF massdrivers. Didn't imagine such a catch from them, so had to reload from 101 to take a different path :)

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 am

Thx a lot for the Saves, they were very informative.

There were 2 thinks i saw first, after i looked into the games.

1. I forgot to mention (sorry my bad) :(, that we use mapgen to remove tiny and upoor planets.

So you may quit the Game in turn0 and type:

mapgen.exe -t upoor -t tiny -f SAVE10.GAM

Then there will be no tiny and upoor planets in the Galaxy.

2. We usually play in average-old Galaxies, and not organic rich ones. I Know, that many players prefer organic rich Galaxies, but we think, that there are too many wet planets in organic rich Galaxies which is too strong for aquatic races.

I will look into the Saves for more Detail in the next Days, until now i have a little Save-set to Turn 120 i just created myself with one of my favourite Races: Bulrathi (about 700 RP, 184 Pop and 3 Turns before to kill the first space-crystal to colonize the System)

ST3-RAR:
http://www.mediafire.com/?w2xa6v5o5ce9nve

I appreciate any feedback about it. :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm

OK, I see how you could expand, you wiped out the nearest nighbour :)
Also you were lucky to appear at a dense star location :)
In my two previous games first I appeared in a locked place (only 1 system in range) and second I was cut by a telepathic +75 offense race :)
It looks like taking war race gives you an advantage of early wiping out AI without any serious problems and further expanding into his sector. Also warlord pick helps building huge fleet early.
Eager to meet you on battlefield, hehe...up for a game?

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:04 pm

After intensive looking into the Save1 Set (gnolam) i have these Comments:

- Overall very good civil Development with a strategy i call "2-System-Tech-Boost" start.

This Strategy means: No expansion, keep in 2 Systems and tech and Develop in only these 2 Systems as fast as possible until you reach a technological level, where you may pop colonyships together with enough battleships to trounce the nearby races (or at least one of them) and quickly colonize their systems.

This kind of strategy has the advantage of early technological advantage but the disadvantage of overall fewer planets. To compensate the lesser amount of planets, these planets (all of them) have to be as well developed as possible.

Only if you build the Buildings on all planets to be completely developed you are able to compensate the few amount of planets.

This kind of starting strategy is best used for races with boni in civil science development like +research, +mc, democracy and/or more space like aquatic or subterranean. Therefore the chosen gnolams are one of the races which are very useful for this kind of development (thumbs up at this point for a good decision).

There are few little tweaks i would consider to optimize this kind of development. The difference is low but still worth mentioning.

1. The Race is low-G, therefore you are able to boost not only your research but your overall development if you research Grav-Generators in physics tree. Nice side Effect: you boost your defensive capability with jucy minituarized lasercannons in case of early agression from other races.

2. The Race is subterranean. This means you are able to delay terraforming some turns to do something else. Something else means:
Quicker research of astrouniversity for example to boost food, production and research. Side effect: Very nice income boost from starport + stock exchange with +1 MC Race.

3. Try to develop all planets. To reduce any planets to pop-planets is a nice relict from playing with housing and still gives a short-term boost in development in no-housing games but in long term you loose production capacity because of fewer completely "finished" planets. "Finished" planets means: The planets built all necessary civil buildings and are saving production via building something big like starbases/colonyships, battleships etc.

To show the difference i startet the gnolam Save from Turn0 and played it to turn 120 as well. I used this order of research:

- armor baracks (yes, not the lab, because you are able to research faster than you are able to build the researched buildings with artefacts home)
- Autom Factory (the first building to produce, afterwards build armor baracks and raze the infantry baracks)
- Lab
- Robotic Factory (not directly towards clonelabs, because you lack production to quickly build colonybases if you do so)
- biosphere, telepathic training, clonelab, microbiotic to boost pop growth
- spaceport to boost mc income-> production (only useful for +1MC races)
- holosim, supercomp, missle base. After missle base is researched, all planets stop building anything and save production to quickly build robominer after successfully researching.
- robominer, tritan armor (fuel cells are not useful enough, because the systems in the corner of this Galaxy are too far away), pollution processor to reduce pollution
- Planetary stock exchange, psionics, then up to grav generator to remove grav-disadvantage.
- Finally astrolabs and as you like emg missles or the spy tech (i luckily are able to choose emg missles, because i got the spy-tech from the darlok leader some turns earlier)

Here is the Turn120 Save:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1eyjgwkd8ybny73

The Difference is little, but i think the civil development is at least a few turns faster, and all planets have "finished" their necessary buildings.

In the next Days i am busy at the grape gathering of this year, but after the vintage is finished i surely will have time for some nice games together. :D

Edit: Fixed some typo errors
Last edited by MadViper on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:10 pm

When did you start building colony bases, before or after autofactory? Nice performance, btw.

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:06 pm

When did you start building colony bases, before or after autofactory? Nice performance, btw.
Colony bases for rich planets are built after Autofactory is built (and of course half-MC-purchased), other colonybases are built after robotics factory is researched. The Production of the remaining colony bases is much faster after building robotics factory, because of lacking production abilities on poor planets without race-production boni.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”