Race pick strategies and game settings

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:09 pm

The research labs are atleast 25 turns into the game vs. 15 for most production races.
After I build cbases, I need up to ~t25-t35 to get rlabs as usual ... !
I did a quick test with UniTolProd1.

With building 4 cbases first, it took me 38 turns to research rlabs and another 4 turns to build all of them. So t42 for UniTol if you build cbases first. If you just research rlabs first it's around 15 turns but then you wouldn't have very many places to build them.

You would probably add 10 turns to that for Feudalism so it's rlabs probably wouldn't be built until t52-60 with building cbases first.

KFizzle

unitol, some build stats

Postby KFizzle » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 am

you know what everyone?

unitol is the best race there is in game, at least for the first 100 turns in avg games. no pollution just makes this race so deadly.

i tried to test out other warlord races trying to make 5 bbs by turn 100 like my unitol warlord test, and i had no such luck. i tested with unisub +1prod large warlord, and i only got about 2 bbs.

another thing i noticed, if youre not tolerant, and you had to make a choice between robos or pol procs, pol procs helps build faster than just robos by itself, robos with pollution makes less prod than autos with pol procs. otherwise robos helps house faster.

ya unitol is rather deadly.

i think on a monster planet, unitol typically built bbs every 4 turns, if im right, and builds bbs on large abundant planets every 8 turns with robos,
i think only other race that builds faster bbs than unitol is unisubaqua +1prod which can build bbs every 3 turns on a monster planet i noticed from past experience. and i forget how long it took on large abundant planets for unisubaqua +1prod but that race builds bbs pretty good with robos/atmos.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:42 am

unitol is the best race there is in game, at least for the first 100 turns in avg games. no pollution just makes this race so deadly.
That´s why I like to ban it all the time.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:26 pm

That´s why I like to ban it all the time.
If you ban tol most people would just use the 2nd best choice which is UniAquaProd2.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:06 pm

If you ban tol most people would just use the 2nd best choice which is UniAquaProd2.

Yea true ... but if someone will play crea or demolitharti or so he has much better chances ... tol is too strong imho.

Lavarn

Re: unitol, some build stats

Postby Lavarn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:11 pm

another thing i noticed, if youre not tolerant, and you had to make a choice between robos or pol procs, pol procs helps build faster than just robos by itself, robos with pollution makes less prod than autos with pol procs. otherwise robos helps house faster.
That's an interesting thing to know, seeing as they are similar in tech cost. I was under the impression though (mostly from reading Cybersaber's guide) that taking merculite missile is a necessity unless you are going to be using beam weapons.

KFizzle

Postby KFizzle » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:38 am

im a pol procs and a no cloners man..
i dont know i might get cloners once in a while with unisubaqua or something or sublith, but by default im a no cloners man

the no pollution thing:
atmos is 3 maintenance costs per atmos
pol procs is 1 maintenance costs per pol procs

if you get pol procs you save money on maintenace
but if you get atmos, youll get more money for your taxes since more available production to tax

typically:
deuts, mercs, atmos, zorts is best chemistry path for non tolerant
trits, mercs, irridium, zorts is best chemistry path for tolerants

i choose:
trits, pol procs, irridium, zorts for chemistry
as you can tell, i mostly use beams as my weapons of choice
if for any reason there's a creative in game, i always have the choice of getting antimatter bombs to take out rads/missile bases etc

there's also another choice:
deuts, pol procs, pulsons, zorts
you could choose that path as well if you like but you dont get mirv on pulsons unless you get neutronium

Time

Postby Time » Fri May 26, 2006 11:12 pm

I prefer your 3rd option," deuts, pol procs, pulsons, zorts "

Tolorant doesn't need to be banned, just that combonation (Uni, Tol, Prod+1, Lghw). There are other Tolorants that are worthy opponents by a skilled player (Uni, Tol, Cyber and Tol, Prod+2, LgRhw) both come to mind. The 2nd option can get/steal morale techs and be more powerful than a uni race (if it has the time).

Also, I have tried the Uni, Aq, Prod+2, Pop+50 which does Very Well in most games. Great bonuses everywhere you need them. Some have spoke of gaining the 100 pop by turn 100. I think I found the race in Uni, Aq, Prod+1, Pop+100. With it I had 98 pop at turn 100, and 457 pop at turn 230. And, That is, with owning only half the map, and conquering the Klackons, on a 6 player map too, and No cloners/Planet Construction were used.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am

Free Technologies, Race Picks, and Catching up...

Unification is like getting Soil Enrichment for free and a +50% to production. -- for easiness of calculating sake i'll say Robo-Miners.
TOLerant is like getting Atmospheric Renewers and Pollution Processors for free.

Democracy has a slight lead in Research in the beginning compared to Unification.... I've thought about taking that research edge and Researching the above techologies with it, along with Robo-Miners and doing a Production strategy. However, with Soil Enrichment costing 400RP, it would take many turns in the beginning of the game just to catch up with the Farming Bonus, Unification has...! And Robo-Miners are pretty expensive Research point wise to get to.
And the fact that Frieghters and Colony Bases must be built, early on for population reasons doesnt help the Democratic race, it actually puts them behind in research, because the Unification race would get done with it faster and have more turns to Research.

So, in conclusion, i think that i can definately see the advantages to a UniTOL race!

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:48 pm

I have a question and that is:

What is the best Race Picks to go along with:
Democracy (7) and Subterranean (6)

The idea of this strategy is to: play starting at PreWarp in a HUGE universe and to delay production of expensive Colony Ships until 50-100 turns into the game and to do so with a technological and a population advantage (just on Home World). Also, since Subterranean is picked instead of Aquatic, you must reseach both Hydroponic Farms and Subterranean Farms and use them to feed your population.

siron

Postby siron » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:14 pm

I like the Demo Sub mentioned in the Good Race Picks thread.

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:18 pm

I was just trying out:
Unification (6)
Aquatic (5)
Subterranean (6)
Population Growth (3)
Repulsive (-6)
Ground Combat (-2)
Ship Defense (-2)

The way i figure it with these picks is: The Aquatic Advantadge goes better with Unification than it does Democracy. And Subterranean and pop growth makes it so that you dont have to build Colony Ships as fast (cost = 500 production to do so), but it is still good to do so. More population and less population on food makes it a winning combination i think. Being that production (Unification), total population (Subterranean), less farmers (Aquatic) and population growth wins!

I feel that this would be a reasonable combination.

siron

Postby siron » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:33 pm

+1 Prod or large,rich HW instead of your growth50 bonus and you just listed two very popular races. Obviously, your race is also playable then. Personally I prefer +1 Prod since it helps extremely on Upoor planets.

Time

(my attempt to answer your question)

Postby Time » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:12 pm

I have a question and that is:

What is the best Race Picks to go along with:
Democracy (7) and Subterranean (6)

The idea of this strategy is to: play starting at PreWarp in a HUGE universe and to delay production of expensive Colony Ships until 50-100 turns into the game and to do so with a technological and a population advantage (just on Home World). Also, since Subterranean is picked instead of Aquatic, you must reseach both Hydroponic Farms and Subterranean Farms and use them to feed your population.
Even though your goal is to have a higher tech and pop advantage, you will still need to have some production and food advantage somewhere. Since Uni is not an option in your question, (Aq, Rhw) or (F+1, P+1) would have to do, which are both are lacking. Cyber is out as a food advantage as there is insuficient prod to compensate there. You could try (Prod+2, Lghw) and just research the soil and weather cons. to get your food up.
:arrow: Also, most don't use hydro or subt farms. see previous discussion: viewtopic.php?t=292
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

siron

Postby siron » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:29 pm

This demo sub race just produces 2food per farmer on a terran. Since a farmer consumes 1food it is a net production of 1 food.

So for this race the hydros might be a viable choice. But of course demo sub has A LOT of trouble to compete against other races. There have to be lots of race pick bans until I consider to play that kind of race.

BTW, instead of subt farms I take soil, terraforming and weather controller early on (With a good start -poor large terran in 1st system- I had weather controller about turn 85 IIRC.)

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”