Race pick strategies and game settings

Discussion on how to play against other humans.
Gusset

Postby Gusset » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:25 pm

What is the best Race Picks to go along with:
Democracy (7) and Subterranean (6)
IMHO, Demo-Sub is very risky. I don't know how it would turn out, but I'd strongly consider taking +1 food, and most likely Large/Rich HW.

The homeworld modifiers are debatable...personally, I usually take the LRHW with demo, because I like to burn turns at game start doing production (build colony bases, research factories, then build 1 or 2 colony ships) before going after tech for whatever strategy I am pursuing.

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:48 pm

isnt the pick Aquatic (5) better than Large Home World (1) and Food (4)?

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:10 am

isnt the pick Aquatic (5) better than Large Home World (1) and Food (4)?
Good question, and you're probably right. To be honest, I hadn't even considered it (I posted too quickly without thinking it through). Actually, Aqua/+1 food/LHW is a combination I've often used with demo, and I've played demo-sub-+1 food/LRHW in games where uni, aqua, and lith were banned. I suspect that's where my brain was living when I posted.

At game start, a large HW would be slightly more effective in terms of building initial production projects (pollution is slightly lower). Also, the aqua food benefit doesn't apply to as many planets as +1 food. However that's it as far as a potential +1 food/LHW advantage goes. In anything other than a small galaxy, I think you're right- aqua would be better.

siron

Postby siron » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:39 pm

This here:
Also, since Subterranean is picked instead of Aquatic, you must reseach both Hydroponic Farms and Subterranean Farms and use them to feed your population.
sounded to me that it is the issue not to take aqua.

NegativeCreep

Postby NegativeCreep » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:05 am

Hi everyone.
I am new to this forum. Me and two friends of mine began playing Moo2 online some months ago and I just wanted to post my race to get some advice by the pros :)
  • Unification
  • +1 Prod
  • Charismatic
  • Telepathic
  • - Spying
  • - Ship Defense
  • - Ship Attack
  • - Ground Combat
What do you think? I've been using it quite succesfully for the last few games expanding quickly and mind controlling defenseless planets of (in the best case) sub races to ship their colonists back to my planets. The Charismatic pick is useful to get some good leaders early in the game who can give huge advantages sometimes and to improve relationships to AIs.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:39 am

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html
You will find many tips there. And after reading that i hope you'll get to the conclusion that your race is not the best choice :)

siron

Postby siron » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:08 pm

A charis+tele combination can be fun against the AI especially in smaller galaxies. But I would avoid -ship attack for sure.

NegativeCreep

Postby NegativeCreep » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Yeah, I am still learning ;) I don't pick - ship attack any more. But we mostly use different settings for example me don't play Organic Rich galaxies too often so picks like Aqua aren't as useful as in your settings.

Return to “Strategy & Tactics”