Ground Combat

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
Rye
Ground Combat

Postby Rye » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Before reading below, this isn't a thread about having some sort of tactical ground combat. I believe that MoO2's system of invasions and defense is very well done, providing a "battle" to watch, a summary of results, and a quick, realistic process through strength of numbers.

What I would like to see is the following;

I don't actually own a copy of the MoO2 instruction booklet, but the other day a friend lent me his to peruse at my leisure.

Now, under the section that deals with Transports, I realized that it said that they're supposed to be able to transport both invading Marines and armor. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't actually use armor for anything but defense in MoO2, right?

Hypothetically, would be it be possible to arrange a modification allowing armor units to be transported in the same manner as Marines?

Also, in the summary windows, you see the bonuses and penalties assigned to each side's infantry and armor from tech/racial abilities/etc, but at the end of a battle, would it be possible to have some sort of "kill counter" the way a planetary bombardment summary occurs?

Something like how many Marines and armor lost, nothing too complicated. It's sort of trivial, but hey...

-----------

On a very different note, in Galactic Civilizations II, invading ground troops are taken directly from a planet's population. Would it be possible to create a mod that made it that so in order to create a transport, one unit of population (something like 1 million colonists I believe) were removed from play and turned into those four units of Marines you get upon construction of your transport.

It always bothered me that Marines on board these transports just appeared out of thin air.

Anyhow, I realize that the ideas I'm talking about are very broad, but I'm curious. :P
In dedicato Imperatum ultra articulo mortis.

Matthew

Re: Ground Combat

Postby Matthew » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 pm

Before reading below, this isn't a thread about having some sort of tactical ground combat. I believe that MoO2's system of invasions and defense is very well done, providing a "battle" to watch, a summary of results, and a quick, realistic process through strength of numbers.

What I would like to see is the following;

I don't actually own a copy of the MoO2 instruction booklet, but the other day a friend lent me his to peruse at my leisure.

Now, under the section that deals with Transports, I realized that it said that they're supposed to be able to transport both invading Marines and armor. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't actually use armor for anything but defense in MoO2, right?

Hypothetically, would be it be possible to arrange a modification allowing armor units to be transported in the same manner as Marines?

Also, in the summary windows, you see the bonuses and penalties assigned to each side's infantry and armor from tech/racial abilities/etc, but at the end of a battle, would it be possible to have some sort of "kill counter" the way a planetary bombardment summary occurs?

Something like how many Marines and armor lost, nothing too complicated. It's sort of trivial, but hey...

-----------

On a very different note, in Galactic Civilizations II, invading ground troops are taken directly from a planet's population. Would it be possible to create a mod that made it that so in order to create a transport, one unit of population (something like 1 million colonists I believe) were removed from play and turned into those four units of Marines you get upon construction of your transport.

It always bothered me that Marines on board these transports just appeared out of thin air.

Anyhow, I realize that the ideas I'm talking about are very broad, but I'm curious. :P
MOO2's ground combat was designed to be fairly simple. If you want an expanded ground combat game, probably should try StarCraft II when it comes out or play Dawn of War I/II. They are RTS but they are both great futuristic games where you get all sorts of cool units to play with.

Rye

Re: Ground Combat

Postby Rye » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 am

MOO2's ground combat was designed to be fairly simple. If you want an expanded ground combat game, probably should try StarCraft II when it comes out or play Dawn of War I/II. They are RTS but they are both great futuristic games where you get all sorts of cool units to play with.
I think you might have misunderstood. :P

What I'd like to see is a few more options and/or variables opened up to players when attempting invasions. I really like the way Master of Orion 2's designers laid out the ground combat system, especially how they didn't make it deviate from the main gameplay, but made it just interesting enough.

I wasn't talking about a complete redesign to tactical ground combat, if that's what you were thinking. :)

As for StarCraft and DoW, I own both original games and all their respective expansions, and while they are the best RTS games I've played in a very long time, I don't feel that the combat between the two genres should be anything alike.
In dedicato Imperatum ultra articulo mortis.

Time

Postby Time » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Many questions, few answers.
First, I have the Ground Combat Section Chapter 10, from the Manual.pdf file

Ground Combat
Once you click on the Invade option, thereÕs nothing more you can do.
The Marines drop to the planetÕs surface and assault the colony. As
emperor, your action now is limited to watching the invasion on the
Ground Combat screen.
Near the top of this screen, your advisors note the important statistics on
both the defensive (right) and offensive (left) forces. Each is colored to
match the banner of the corresponding empire. Any advanced weapons
technology, armor, and equipment gives ground forces a better chance of
winning the battle, and thus is listed here. Next to the icon for each type of
ground force are two bits of information. The number denotes how many
of that type of troop is taking part in this fight; the heart icons represent
the number of times each unit of this type must be hit to be killed.
At the bottom, the actual firefight is shown. You cannot give orders to
ground troops during an invasion; this is a win or lose situation. Retreat is
not an option.

When the fighting is over, the outcome is noted at the top of the screen. If
the invasion failed, the planet remains in the hands of its current emperor.
A successful invasion transfers control of the world, the colony, and the
remaining population to the attacking empire.

Having conquered one of the colonies of an enemy
empire, you have a choice to make. (Note that some
forms of government donÕt allow you this choice.)
You can begin having the existing colonistsÑthe
captured populationÑexterminated, or you can
attempt to incorporate them into your empire. If you
choose the former, your troops will comply, though
your relations with all other races in the galaxy will
suffer. If you decide on the latter, it takes time for
the conquered colonists to fit themselves into your
culture. How long depends on a few factors. Until
they become assimilated, the conquered units of
population produce at half their normal rate.

In addition to being less than productive, unassimilated populations
remain a threat to your hold on the colony. Unless there is an Alien
Management Center in the colony, there is a chance each turn that the
conquered aliens will attempt to revolt. (The more unassimilated aliens,
the larger the chance.) If they do so, they fight it out with your ground
troops for control of the planet. A loss for you is a gain for the worldÕs old
rulerÑthe colony reverts back.

:arrow: I could find no reference to sending Armor in transports to a colony. So, it appears they and battleoids are intended for defense only.

:?: Now, can they be modified to do so?
That would likely require new coding similar to the marine transports, which I haven't read anyone on that, atm.
:?: Can the game be modified to make us lose 1 pop per transport?
Again, more new coding.
Not to mention, I think this would give an advantage to races using: Warlord, Subterranean, High pop growth modifiers, or just using Housing.
(maybe, one is needed to increase the chance of these picks being chosen?)

I have to say, assuming, we didn't pick Telepathic, I think it would be challanging to come across a foe who took those race picks, and one had to actually fight a long drawn out ground war to take a planet. Sending Armor and Battleoids to conquer a planet sounds fun.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

ponti

Postby ponti » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:29 am

Beside coding you can modify existing parameters to focus more on ground combat.

- Raise commando point needs of transporters from 1 to 5
- Raise troops and armor troops a planet can hold
- Raise race-skill-cost of Telepathic from 6 to 10, maybe modify the Elerians skill list
- Modify race-skill-cost of Ground Combat (-2/2/4 to -3/3/6) and modify the refering skill lists of default races.

Game: Having huge troop fleets causes you to have much money. Game behaviour will be more like: save money >> use troop-fleet to invade planet and scrap not needed transporters. Or it end up in destroying planets instade of invading, but that's not that bad ( beside the ethics ;) )

Problem: Surrender System in diplomacy is a huge problem. I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Return to “Suggestions”