Slower Galactic Movement

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
Isaachar
Slower Galactic Movement

Postby Isaachar » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:02 pm

I've had a quick look through the threads and couldn't see that this has been suggested before...

Is it possible to mod MoOII to make galactic movement slower.

Once you get to anti-matter drives or faster fleets can move to close star systems in one turn giving no chance for the defender to respond.

However, if drive speeds were (say) 3X slower the defender would always get a turn or more to respond. I think this would make the end game better strategically.

Perhaps a kind modder could add a speed multiplier and I could set it to 0.3

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Build warp interdictors and thats it :wink:

Isaachar

Postby Isaachar » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:32 am

I could build warp interdictors but that solves the problem for one player in one game.

My point is that defenders should always have the possibility of getting a defensive fleet to a planet if they have a fleet close enough.

Plus I'm more kind of interested to know how easily something like that can be changed.

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 am

That is an interesting idea.
I don't like it as well, that the movement between Stars is usually 1-Turn witout the Possibility to react. I think only the fastest ships should be allowed to travel that fast between the Stars.

But to balance this, more stats have to be altered, because as Far as i know, the movement Speed uses Integer Values (1,2,3,4,...) There may be no possibility to just divide the speed values.

You have to Change this the other way.

Actual stats in a huge Galaxy:

Average distance between stars: 4-7 Parsec

Speed of ships: 2 Parsec (atomic engine) to 7 Parsec (interphasing engine) +1 parces for nav leader +2 for Transdimensional Races.
The maximum Speed for traveling to an enemy System is 10 parsec/round the minimum 2 Parsec.

Fuel Cells Distance without extended fuel Cells: 4 Parces, 6 parsecs, 9 Parsecs, 12 Parsecs, unlimited.
Speedup for Jumpgates to own Systems: +3 Parsec

Suggestion for a "slow mod" altering the stats and Galaxymap design:

Average distance between stars: 12-21 Parsec

Speed of ships: 4 Parsec (atomic engine) to 9 Parsec (interphasing engine) +1-3 parces for nav leader +4 for Transdimensional Races.
The maximum Speed for traveling to an enemy System is 17 parsec/round the minimum 4 Parsec.

Fuel Cells Distance without extended Fuel: 12 Parces, 18 parsecs, 27 Parsecs, 36 Parsecs, unlimited.
Speedup for Jumpgates to own Systems: +9 Parsec

Edit: I just imagined, that the Scanner Values have to be trippled as well, if the modifications are used.

Isaachar

Postby Isaachar » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:57 am

YES!!!

Now that's what I'm talking about. I appreciate the research into the numbers.

Working with integers then, leave the drive speeds and bonuses as they are and just triple the star distances, fuel cells, scanners and comm ranges.

This will always allow the defender time to respond to attacks.

It will also make interstellar travel less desirable - I don't think this will negatively impact the game, just balance toward development of local planets.

Is this possible?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:45 pm

no, its not possible to change distances between stars that way.
I could build warp interdictors but that solves the problem for one player in one game.
My point is that defenders should always have the possibility of getting a defensive fleet to a planet if they have a fleet close enough.
The solution would be giving warp interdictors to all players from the beginning of the game (e.g. placing early in the tech tree) and dramatically reducing cost of building it, so that it's not a problem to build warp interdictor anywhere, even on a newly colonised system. This will result in exactly what you were looking for.

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:06 am

Or less radical - make Jump Gates appear very early and make them dirt cheap - very Babylon 5 :D

Well, it doesn't fix this completely, but it does give the defender a slight advantage.

Time

Postby Time » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Another alternative would be to add a Race Flaw Pick, such as, -2, and -1 Speed. This would result in the negative of Transdimentinal, and the negative of half, of Transdimentinal, respectively.

This would help correct the illogical notion that all races we choose will travel at the same speed (except, for TransD, of course).

I haven't heard of anyone being able to "add" Race Picks to the ones available yet (in MOO2), so, the options the others have suggested above, will have to do for now.

Also note, Star Gates would nullify the effectiveness of those measures already mentioned, as soon as both races at war have a planet in the same system.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

JAB95

Postby JAB95 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am

First off this is my opinion:

I think this is part of the challenge of protecting your planets. This forces players to have buffer zones or neutral zones between them. This also means players should have scouts to see enemy movement. This prevents players from building systems right next to each other unless they have a fleet to defend them.

However, if a change is preferred including warp indicator in the beginning seems to be the best solution. No change should be made to the cost of the building, because this tech is not needed until after higher drives have been researched. The negative to this would be a player could build them on systems to get even more time to defend. This could be used to counter a blitz race.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 am

The solution would be giving warp interdictors to all players from the beginning of the game (e.g. placing early in the tech tree) and dramatically reducing cost of building it, so that it's not a problem to build warp interdictor anywhere, even on a newly colonised system. This will result in exactly what you were looking for.
Or less radical - make Jump Gates appear very early and make them dirt cheap - very Babylon 5
Well, it doesn't fix this completely, but it does give the defender a slight advantage.
I thought about these ideas. There is one side effect of both cheap & early jumpgate and warp interdicors. The problem is that both of techs could be used offensively as well. If you allow these techs symmetrically to all players you won't get radical advantage in defense. Jumpgate will allow faster movement of newly build ships of the assailant to his outpost in the forefront and warp interdictors will make that outpost even harder to destroy. So it will put attacker in comfortable position of threatening your systems, while you really can't do the same or remove your fleet away from defending your systems, since the assailant will attack faster than you can do anything.
Nevertheless warpinterdictors increase minimum turns of flight to your systems to two turns, which does't let your systems stay undefended.
As for slower galactic movement idea - it completely breaks the game and consequently cannot be regarded as a good solution.

Return to “Suggestions”