Enveloping weapons vs. missiles or fighters

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
Turbo Beholder
Enveloping weapons vs. missiles or fighters

Postby Turbo Beholder » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:32 am

Not complete bug, but definitely glitch.
Did you noticed what Enveloping weapon does to missiles and fighters ? Devours 4 per hit. It seems Env really does not causes damage from all sides when hit, but hits from each side. Accordingly, single Env+AF wipes 12 targets per shot, just tested it. :D
Maybe, this needs to be fixed ?..
If AI could take such mods, maybe it would be good to enable AF on Fusion Beam, but as it is, it seems to be useless.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better."
- Michele Carter

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:55 pm

You understood wrong enveloping mod. Example:
Fusion beam inflicts 6 damage from point blank, enveloping fusion - 6 damage EACH SIDE ( 6X4=24)

Turbo Beholder

Postby Turbo Beholder » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:56 pm

You understood wrong enveloping mod. Example:
Fusion beam inflicts 6 damage from point blank, enveloping fusion - 6 damage EACH SIDE ( 6X4=24)
For ships yes, but point is that there's "one shot - one kill" normal maximum for small targets and that Env is realized in such a way that it bypasses limit which leads to extra-efficient scything of missiles/fighters. Other weapons (Death Rays, Maulers) may cause enough damage for 5 missiles or fighters, but never do anything like this.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better."
- Michele Carter

c'g~

Yeah, PD Fusion Beam is greatest

Postby c'g~ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:58 pm

Many people on this forum said, that the Fusion Beam is greatest point defense weapon, in consideration of its size and cost. IMO, it’s only reason to pick it (for example Mass Driver much more effective against all targets, but cant do the same things like Fusion Beam to fighters/missiles)

TheDS

Postby TheDS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Each of the Enveloping shots could stand to be treated like seperate shots, not unlike Autofire. Would still be more effective than Autofire, but if it cost more (higher space requirements and/or cost compared to Autofire) would be fine. In the meantime, I just discovered this trick for myself, and it's altered my typical builds accordingly.
Why do they get to attack me without war being declared, but I can't do the same?

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Thu May 01, 2008 5:25 am

The thing of it is: AF and ENV don't automatically kill 3 and 4 targets respectively. They have the ability to kill upto that number, depending on the relative difference between attack/defence ratings.

The way they work now I personally would not consider a bug or glitch as it operates in a logical manner.

To wit:
Autofire weapons shoot more pulses/projectiles/whatever in the same given unit of time as a standard weapon, so it stands to reason that it has the potential to hit more targets.

Enveloping weapons are like shotguns, they have rubbish range but can hit a wide area, which by definition may (or may not) contain multiple targets.

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes, i agree with Tifi, Env and AF Weapons are just fine the way they are at the moment.

Return to “Suggestions”