MOO Tech Research Restriction

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
Yxklyx
MOO Tech Research Restriction

Postby Yxklyx » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:47 pm

One thing I miss from MOO is that you could play where your tech research choice were very restrictive. You could basically only research one randomly chosen item from each field. Your strategy would then change from game to game depending on what techs you got dealt. I'd like to see this implemented for MOO 2.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:04 am

Pick uncreative :lol:

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:51 am

Yeah, realize that now - but you can see what all your techs will be.

siron

Postby siron » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Stop to watch there then.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:24 pm

:lol:

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 am

:)

Yeah, but I still use it to get an idea of what techs are possible. I still haven't memorized everything like all of you.

Playing against the AI I like to pick Uncreative nearly all the time. Makes for more diversity in games.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Erm... I had one really fun game like that.

uncreative, Lithovore, +growth, charismatic and democracy I think. (not sure)

I manage to talk all the AIs into giving me practically everything they had. thus I got almost all the techs even though I didn't research many.

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 am

I manage to talk all the AIs into giving me practically everything they had. thus I got almost all the techs even though I didn't research many.
I prefer Uncreative - in the last game for instance no one had Robo Miners and that's usually a tech I pick if given the chance.

Time

Postby Time » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:13 pm

Uncreative usually will leave you without a particular technology you want.
Therefore, it is a good idea to have the race picks that will enable you to get the techs you don't have.
1) Telepathic + Charasmatic will give you a huge bonus to diplolmacy. (+25%+50%=+75% Diplomacy Bonus)
2) Telepathic + Spy+20 (and hopefully some spy techs you can research) will let you steal the technologies.

This is alot of character points to spend compensating for this race malice, and would probably explain why many believe it is the worst pick to choose, for your race.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:14 am

Uncreative usually will leave you without a particular technology you want.
Therefore, it is a good idea to have the race picks that will enable you to get the techs you don't have.
1) Telepathic + Charasmatic will give you a huge bonus to diplolmacy. (+25%+50%=+75% Diplomacy Bonus)
2) Telepathic + Spy+20 (and hopefully some spy techs you can research) will let you steal the technologies.

This is alot of character points to spend compensating for this race malice, and would probably explain why many believe it is the worst pick to choose, for your race.
Which makes it the best pick to make the game challenging against the AI.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:24 pm

I prefer Uncreative - in the last game for instance no one had Robo Miners and that's usually a tech I pick if given the chance.
I decided to choose a research field i knew i could get something i needed from. In this case it was biotech. I focussed all research there and traded it to everybody.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 am

Uncreative is probably the most fun pick to play against the AI as you're forced to overcome your tech limitations with ideas and strategy you wouldn't even give a second thought usually.
(GO! GO! Pulsar frigates of dooooooom!)

Picking Uncreative when playing against people though will likely get you turned into a trophy on someone else's score sheet unless you're either really good or exceedingly lucky :P

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:44 pm

Uncreative is probably the most fun pick to play against the AI as you're forced to overcome your tech limitations with ideas and strategy you wouldn't even give a second thought usually.
(GO! GO! Pulsar frigates of dooooooom!)

Picking Uncreative when playing against people though will likely get you turned into a trophy on someone else's score sheet unless you're either really good or exceedingly lucky :P
Yeah... I always Pwn the Klackons like theres no tommorrow.....

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Well, I'm still playing on Hard against the AI. I played Impossible years ago and found the AI to be TOO antagonistic. Anyway, I've had some very challenging games playing Uncreative/Repulsive - especially when I don't take any production/science picks. Lately what happens is I don't get any of the new fuel cells and so can't expand (or have to equip my ships with Extended Fuel Cells) and spying usually doesn't help. Since Transports don't have Extenders I have to build an outpost in the system I want to attack first - if there are no extra planets, I can't invade.

I had one game where I took +50 Attack, +50 Defense, Warlord, Trans-dimensional (with Uncreative/Repulsive) and had fun building little frigates to take on enemy battleships. Enemy ships would fire and fire away and never hit.

Return to “Suggestions”