Designing Starbases

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
siron
Designing Starbases

Postby siron » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:39 pm

[17:58] <{g:156}iron{d}> 1 proposal i heard so often on moo2 boards:
[17:58] <{g:156}iron{d}> designing star bases
[17:58] <{g:156}iron{d}> is this possible?.......
[17:59] <{g:156}iron{d}> adding on building screen
[17:59] <{g:156}iron{d}> a starbase design link
[17:59] <{y}LordBrazen{d}> designing star bases is possible and I have been thinking about it a lot
[17:59] <{y}LordBrazen{d}> It may make it to hard to invade though

------------------------------
IMHO such design option should even be the status quo in some of the next 1.4 releases.

Those, who dislike such option, should use a /nodesign switch.

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:59 pm

Designing starbases would be cool, but I think I might put that particular feature behind several others in priority.

My $.02.

-Gusset

PK

Postby PK » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:07 am

I always thinked about designing star bases. I miss that alot. Nice to hear its possible in some near future! 8)

PK
PK

Cybersaber

Postby Cybersaber » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:07 am

I agree that this would be fun! However, it is WAY behind making Warp Dissipators only fit in a CA or BB in my priority list.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:34 am

Personally, I agree with Guss and Cyber that other things are more important (for us kali-players.)

Otherwise such change would make LBs patch very attractive for Singleplayers...and I smell new kali players when his patch is popular among Singleplayers.

So far, I see no convincing reason to convince a singleplayer to use LBs patch.

Time

Postby Time » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Designing SBs difinitely !

Nothing worse than designing your ships a certain way, and having your SBs use different technology.
A single player nightmare, is artarens attacking just after you finish researching Ion Pulse Cannons and being unable to switch Beam and special techs. :x

I downloaded the patch to view and get used to the changes to hopefully start using kali soon. So, the download is recommended by me anyway.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

martock

Postby martock » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:45 pm

I'd love to be able to design my own SB's in both my single player games, and if I ever get around to it, any multi-player games. Still, I'd rather other issues get corrected first before this is worked on. Best to ring out the little problems before adding something that could generate a bigger problem.

lord_azmodan

Postby lord_azmodan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:46 pm

I think I have an idea how to manage this.

Instead of adding a design screen for StarBases, you could invent a ship special (like battle pods), that changes any ship into a battle station.

This special should do the following changes:
- makes the ship immobile
- gives 1 command point + 1 per ship size (used to negate normal ship cp)
- adds 2 to scanning range
- invisible on main screen

However this would allow multiple star bases per system, so you could alternatively negate the command points for such a ship. So the "second Star Base" can be designed.

I would like the following change (in regard of star bases, ...)

If you captured a StarBase or any other ship, it should be useable for this combat. And if you captured a Star Base, it shouldn't count as destroyed, when the tactical combat ends. So if you invade the planet on the same turn, you don't need to build a new one. If you invaded a planet, it's too time-consuming to build up new defenses (beside any options to prevent revolts).

And maybe you could add a "capture ship" on planets during tactical combat to automatically start a ground combat. The reason for this change is simple. If my combat ships use subspace teleporters & transporters, why should transport ships don't use the same technology. So if any of my ships can reach the planet without destruction, why should I wait and destroy the defense systems first?

Time

Postby Time » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:44 pm

true, lord az.

especially, if telepathic, when one captures a ship in combat, we are supposed to be able to use that ship in combat and retain it after combat. Yet, when a starbase is captured, we do not retain it after the combat. (If the sb's inhabitants were mind controlled, then no one could self destruct it.) Telepathic races should definitely be able to retain sbs.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:32 am

Being able to design starbases and planetary defences would be a hugely welcome addition to the game.

One of the more annoying aspects of being forced to have the AI do this for you, id the often idiotic choice of weapons and equipment.
eg:
The 'best' weapons are always used, where best means most advanced, and mods are hardly used at all.

Starbases never use mods for beams except Hv. and PD.
Batteries use CO and AP/SP when the proper tech level is passed, but I've never seen them use ENV or AF.

I will be delighted if I can *finally* fit my battlestation with an ARU :P

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm

An alternative to designing your own would be to have the AI become better at designing ships and starbases.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:58 am

Thinking on it, some of the specials would have to have some limitations placed on them with regard to use to on bases...

For example:

Parts Not Allowed
Augmented Engines
Subspace Teleporter
Extended Fuel

Parts Allowed, But With Reduced Effectiveness
Cloak
Phasing Cloak
Displacement Device
Inertial Damper
Inertial Nullifier
Battle Pods

Parts Allowed As Normal
Reinforced Hull
Heavy Armour
Troop Pods
Rangemaster Unit
Battle Scanner
Shield Capacitor
Multiphased Shield
Hard Shield
Fast Missile Rack
Scout Lab
Security Stations
Transporters
Energy Absorber
Automated Repair Unit
Achillies Targetting Unit
Structural Analyzer
High Energy Focus
Hyper-X Capacitor
Damper Field
Quantum Detonator
Reflection Field
Warp Dissipator
Time Warp Facilitator

Did I miss anything? :lol:

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 am

cool! yeah that's always bugged me too. the ai never uses damper fields.

philcha

Postby philcha » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:31 am

I'm not sure how big a deal designing SBs is. OK, it's frustrating when you see one of your SBs with e.g. Security Stations when you'd rather have Structural Analyzer. But SB upgrades are instantaneous and free, so your SB is usually at a higher tech level than ships attacking it. An SB can usually handle 2-3 battleships of a lower tech level. If you have only an SB defending against a crowd of BBs, you got your military strategy wrong.

To make SBs designable you'd have to increase the number of "ship" classes shown in the colony Build Menu, and make them a special type of "ship" with no engines but with non-modifiable "command points" components.

I'd also suggest that one should then have to pay for refits.

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:07 am

Even if you have to pay to upgrade your bases it would *still* be a complete bargain to be able to get rid of 1x Hv Death Ray on a SB and replace it with more-than-1x Hv AF Disruptors (or whatever).

Even if all we can manage is to convince the AI designer to use all available mods on a weapon and not upgrade to the next weapon until theres *at least* one mod for it - I'd still be happy to pay for the upgrades.

Ah well... :P

Return to “Suggestions”