Better AI Ships

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
Matthew
Better AI Ships

Postby Matthew » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:44 pm

I realize that most of the changes will be for multiplayer but some of us have work schedules that limit our online play.

One idea that I had for improving the AI is to improve how they build their ships. Keep them from buying nuclear bombs (waste of space) and insure that they use things like Battlepods and weapon mods. Get their ships a little closer in spec to player created ships so they will be more challenging to fight.

You could have a /nobombs switch that keeps the ai from using them.

siron

Postby siron » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:32 pm

I agree. Would be nice to implement some nice AI designs. Chatted bout this with LB several months ago. Dunno his to-do list...now. I would also try to help LB (playtesting).

Some AI improvements for the Singleplayers....would be nice to have them this year....(10years Moo2).

martock

Postby martock » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:49 pm

I've yet to get around to actually playing a multi-player game but I do use LB's patches in my games. I'd love to see the AI have some better designed ships. It irritates me to no end to see 60+ bombs on some of their ships. I don't think I've ever encountered an AI ship that didn't have some kind of bomb on it. I don't know how the AI determines to make a ship but if it has 'pre-made' vessels listed, I'd be more than happy to 're-write' them. Any change in this area would be a welcome change.

lord_azmodan

Postby lord_azmodan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

What's about making bombs more effective or more "attractive" for any player. I don't think it is a problem that he build bombs!

To say something to Battle Pods. I don't think, they are really nesessary for enemy players, because it increases the cost of any ship. So instead of building a 3 ships with battlepods, you could build 4 without them. So if you think it is still unbalanced, you should increase the cost of battle pods even more to negate the differences. (Maybe a 2:3 ratio)

Iceman

Postby Iceman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:56 am

The AI ship design as it is currently implemented is one of the major reasons why beating the AI is easy. I like the fact that the AI responds to what you do (for one, it will install Hard Shields if you make ships with Shield Piercing weapons), but it should also take into account all of the technologies it has available. Ships built by Creative computer empires always fail to create optimal designs, especially during the late stages of the game. It is usually most beneficial to install all of the following subsystems on a beam ship: Battle Scanner, Structural Analyzer, High Energy Focus, Achilles Targeting Unit. However, the AI's beam ships never have all four of these systems on them, and they always have bombs, which take up space.

Return to “Suggestions”