How do "spy rolls" work ? ...

Suggest or Vote on new features here.
ALEX|D
How do "spy rolls" work ? ...

Postby ALEX|D » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:38 pm

I guess noone has real clue about how spy rolls work!?

Is it possible to see the spy rolls in some code of the game, or so ?!?

Has anyone some answers/experiences about, how spys work ?

Logan

Postby Logan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:30 am

All i know is that you put the spies on the enemy picture, then you sometimes steal/destroy something, based on orders.

I think it might be something like putting together all spy points (spies in enemy territory + bonuses), then their defensive bonus (spies that they own still in their territoy + bonuses), then if it's higher, WOO!.

But probably not.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:50 am

... then you sometimes steal/destroy something...
The Question is about the "sometimes" ! It seems that it is mostly luck. Sometimes u´ll get techs after some turns, sometimes never (on same spyskills ... )

I think the more other tech the other has, the bigger the chance to steal something ...

Jaded Tortoise

Postby Jaded Tortoise » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:05 am

Admittedly this is guess work based on observation but there are a few factors.

First you have your spy offense/defensive bonuses
then number of spies
then number of targets

It also seems that no matter how good of a spy system you have and even if they have no spies at all unless they have tons of techs you don't you still will only get something fairly rarely.

my guess though is spies contribute a certain number of points to a number and the percentage increases or decreases that number.

Example each spy adds 10 points and you have 8 spies at +20% this gives you 12*8 or 96 spy points
now the other person has 12 spies at -10% defending or 9*12= 108 points

so you choose a random number between 1 and 96 and another between 1 and 108 if the first is bigger you could find something, if the second is bigger you could lose a spy.

now either the difference in this number or in the next section of this algorithm will include something to give a chance of having them notice you stealing something.

The next section would involve targets if you have a chance of getting something it likely picks a random tech of theirs, and if you don't have it you get it, if you do then you still get nothing.

I basing these guesses on simplicity of programming and idea. Its very likely they have some more complex method that includes some of these ideas but I could be totally off base too.

wraith203

Postby wraith203 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:55 am

Sometimes you can get techs very quickly.

Playing on impossible onetime, I noticed one of the replusive races had almost no spy-techs.(-10 racial +5 telepathic training)

Since I had teched heavy spy that game, I was like +45 offensive spies. Even though they were repulsive, the computer was apparently still trading with them, and they were VERY far ahead of me in most technologies.

I was getting a tech every 2-4 turns for about 40 turns. It was a stream of neverending free techs.

Before I started spying, I was on my last leg and about to be crushed. 20 turns later my fleet was advancing. But I saved the race I was leeching off of until the end. hehe, that was a game. :lol:

Tibster

Postby Tibster » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:26 am

If i remember corectly every turn/cycle a global roll is made for each player and compared to the oposing player ( u have to have a spy asigned to a job on a player/ai. )

If the nubers are close nothing happens ( spy and def. spy run in circles )

If u score less ur spy is cought and the diference dictates the outcome:
spy cought and suicides / spy cought and confeses who he works for = loss in diplomacy or war !

If u score more = u do the job , diference .... , small dif u do the job but they know who did it , ok diff u do the job they know that someone dit it, realy big diff u did it and the spy plants evidence against someone elce.

This is the basic i dont know th formula, or the ranges !

Time

Postby Time » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 pm

I remember asking a similar question at one point I don't believe anyone has figured ou the exact method on how the spy rolls, % chance of success, or tech stolen are determined.

MOO3 did increase our Spy Options, but, not enough.

On a side note, I bought Civ 4 and its two Expansions, and I like how Civ 4, Beyond the Sword does Spying.
Steal a tech, blow up a building, cause unrest, pollute the water supply (less food for 8 turns) etc.
The cost of doing it depends on how many spy points one has saved up on the foe, and % chance of success depends on how long your spy has been at the target (city or tile).

It all depends on what type of game you want.
The changes in Civ 4, like culture, religon, detailed Spy options, air and underwater combat, might work for an advanced version of MOO3, but, for the shorter 1-3 day games of MOO2, it could just be too much detail to keep the pace going, like the ground combat, simple, not overly detailed.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Return to “Suggestions”