Problem with DosBox

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.
Pun Intended
Problem with DosBox

Postby Pun Intended » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:07 pm

I'm running Win XP and have successfully copied over Moo2 to my hard drive, allowing me to open it without the cd.

Unfortunately, when I try to set up DosBox, my computer crashes with I open up Install.exe.

Any ideas?

siron

Postby siron » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 pm

You won't need install.exe after you copied your CD to the hard drive. See 1B in the DOSBox Guide.

Pun Intended

Postby Pun Intended » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, first of all.

I've successfully gotten 1.40 installed on both computers I'm testing on. I'm able to get DosBox to open up on both, and have one create a game and the other join.

However, even though I have the dosbox.conf file edited like the guide, the game name doesn't pop up for the person joining. I believe I have all the network settings correct (disabled TCP/IP, enabled NWLink Bios and NWLink IPX). I'm behind a router and firewall, and I've disabled the firewall.

If I watch the boot up on the 'hosting' computer, it says there is something about an IPX tunnelling error. Anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

I think I'm close. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm sorta bad at this kind of thing -- as I'm sure you can tell.

siron

Postby siron » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:25 pm

First,
(disabled TCP/IP, enabled NWLink Bios and NWLink IPX).
you shouldn't do that. IPX is just emulated by DOSBox.

In case you wanna play in a local network, I assume you have just used the wrong IP, mebbe?! External IP which shows up by using the site whatismyip.com etc. won't work, just take the local ip of the host. This should work.

Pun Intended

Postby Pun Intended » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:33 pm

thanks again.

how do i find the local IP?

siron

Postby siron » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:35 pm

Pun Intended

Postby Pun Intended » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:39 am

thanks a lot for all the help, siron.

got it working, finally. One last question -- when I want to play someone off my network, I turn off TCP/IP, correct?

Return to “Internet games”