In search for online matches

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.
zoimt
In search for online matches

Postby zoimt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi there.
Over the past six years, a friend and I have been playing against each other using Dosbox + Hamachi but we are at the point realizing that every match just goes down the same. All AI's out of the game, two huge fleets clashing and that's it. My hall of fame scoreboard is full of bored-until-bitter-end-2500+ scores. We started to play small galaxy sized 1v1's but somehow do not particularly like that, either. Whenever we invite friends to join us, they don't really enjoy the ride, since we have a certain advantage, experience-wise.
I really want to kick things up a notch, so what's the current status of online gaming?
Is everybody still using Kali? What about the IRC channel? Who should I talk to to get things going? Is the original 1.4 still the thing everybody's playing or are there decent mods that prevent the massive fleet clashes between mid- till lategame?
Some advice to get us going would be really nice.

Kind Regards,
Zoimt

Darza

Re: In search for online matches

Postby Darza » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:28 am

irc.quakenet.org #moo2 or http://webchat.quakenet.org/ #moo2, tho it was really hard to miss that link on a site or this forum already chat.php - as this link present on this certain page.

No need in kali or hamachi, just dosbox, came to chat, ask for a game and play, tho 1.40 could be not most popular option now, mostly VDC, but you can find some classic games too time from time.

Usually its 1-1 large games without AI, and without attack of other player for some turns (~100), to make it possible to amass some fleet to war instead few ships. If you play long game - how could you not amass a fleet? Surely you can add a rules to not build more than X ships and try to find somebody to agree.

Anyway just join, learn and play, it would took just few days to learn a game very good if you will try.
Last edited by Darza on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zoimt

Postby zoimt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:12 pm

I had a look at VDC and jeez, that's upside down. Not saying I don't like it but it really changes everything. Wasn't aware that Dosbox works without Hamachi or any other sort of (real) VPN for that matter, since I come from a country where static IPs are rarely found throughout the general public.

"How could you not amass a fleet?" - Way less command points for instance.

Darza

Postby Darza » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Well, as i sayd 1.40 classix is playing too, just you cant get a game so reliable as with VDC.
Also there is dedicated server, so you have no need in static IP. In other case youll indeed have to use crutches like some tunnelers, sadly.

Commands point of no real issue. Issue is economic. I recall having a -260 command points and some small surplus (~300-400BC turn) with taxes at 0, for example. It wasnt classix (was VDC), and this certain game was extraordinarly long (180 or so turns) and played for mere fun, but still. You can easily have about 30 battleships and 40 destroyers without ruining your economics if game somehow managed to get to late turns (150 or so). But you also surely can win with 1-2 ships (beside fregates), depends on rules you set pre-game.

zoimt

Postby zoimt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes, thats right, economy is the inverse bottleneck. I really like VDC sofar as it prevents getting these (1.4 patch) 14 picks builds where there's no real alternative to uber-prod-races (uni, lit, sub for instance) which push the boundaries even further.
However, now playing some VDC CPU matches made me feel like a total beginner again, everything is so different from classic. I can see VDCs value but struggle to get me running like I used to. I think I'll have some more tests and join you later on IRC.

Darza

Postby Darza » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:07 pm

First time i hear about anybody seriously using picks=14. And yes, point of VDC is to at least try to have non-heavy-production races playable.

zoimt

Postby zoimt » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:06 am

Like I said, the past six years I have been playing against a single person and we got powerdrunk and kind of addicted on those 14 picks pretty fast.

Return to “Internet games”