Router configuration for Kali

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.
Lord Brazen
Site Admin
Router configuration for Kali

Postby Lord Brazen » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:41 pm

I thought I would post this link (even though it is pretty easy to find using google) as many new player are asking about router configuration.

http://www.portforward.com/english/appl ... Iindex.htm

I think it should help some of you.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

PK

Postby PK » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:57 am

From kali forum about NAT router problems:

Kali may display one or more of several different NAT and "port" related errors, warnings, or notices. Each of these messages indicates the cause of the problem, details on what exactly happened, and sometimes more information on how to correct the problem. Please take the time to read the posts in the forum and see if your problem has already been discussed. Most have been discussed several times already. If you still think you need more information and want to request help, please post the exact, word-for-word message that you received and what you've tried to do to fix it.

Why do I get this NAT error message?

That error is caused by a connection problem, most likely a NAT router you have setup to share an Internet connection. Sometimes your ISP sets up the NAT configuration making it harder or impossible to fix.

What is NAT?

It stands for Network Address Translation. NAT is used to allow multiple PCs to share a single IP#. Most DSL and Cable modem routers use some form of NAT to allow you to share an Internet connection and programs like Wingate and Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) use a software NAT solution to allow connection sharing on a single IP#.

In most cases Kali works seemlessly through NAT. Many users can simply install and run Kali without ever knowing about these problems that keep other users from enjoying Kali.

Why doesn't my NAT setup work properly?

It's probably because your NAT router (either hardware or software NAT solution) doesn't properly handle UDP packets. Most of these NAT systems handle TCP properly as TCP is used for web browsing, email, ftp, and even some games. However, UDP isn't as commonly used as TCP and in most cases UDP isn't used for peer-to-peer connections. The most common use of UDP is for DNS lookups (when your web browser takes a name like www.kali.net and turns it into an IP# like 66.151.180.3). A very crude NAT system can handle this very simple use of UDP, but anything more complicated will fail. Kali uses UDP and when bad NAT routers are used with Kali, things can go wrong.

What goes wrong?

Kali uses peer-to-peer instead of client-server technology. There are many reasons for this setup including efficiency, performance, and LAN emulation requirements.

In any case, peer-to-peers means that your PC directly communicates with every other PC connected to your game lobby or chat server instead of only communicating directly with the Kali Servers.

In a normal (non-NAT setup) Kali will send and receive all data on a single "port". A "port" is a simple way TCP/IP uses to allow different applications to use the same connection without getting data mixed up. Kali, by default, uses UDP port 2213. That means that anything sent to your PC and labeled with port 2213 will be sent to the Kali application. This allows any user on Kali to send data to your PC by referring to your Internet IP# and the Kali port number.

With NAT, your PC must share that ip# with other PCs on the LAN. If two PCs on the LAN both tried to use the same port, communications would get totally mixed up. Data that was supposed to go to one PC would go to both PCs and it would be impossible to communicate properly. NAT systems "solve" this problem by translating the port numbers so that the rest of the internet sees each PC on a different port. Usually this solution works, but sometimes the NAT system behaves poorly and causes trouble.

One common example of bad NAT behavior is only allowing one "connection" at a time on a port. UDP is supposed to be connectionless. You should be able send and receive packets from one port to any number of other PCs, but these poorly designed NAT systems make the assumption that like TCP.

LB said about port forwarding. I must say its often not enogh to make kali working. I have a vigor 2500 from drytek. Its a good router but I worked on it 2 days and called technical help cos kali failed. My solution was not only forward ports : 2231 public to 2213 local but also adding my pc as HOST IN DMZ and turning on one small options to allow udp packets to pass. DMZ means demilitarized zone - so my pc is less protected then it was before. Allowing udp data to pass was also needed cos kali uses udp as u could wrote b4 above.
PK

wohlstadter

Postby wohlstadter » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:19 pm

I've done everything on this post over and over again.

I have a netgear wireless gateway. I connect my other router to that and I run my wireless internet off of that. With the other router I have which is a TRENDNET, I try to connect to kali, but I get every error message in the world.

1. Firewall test failed

2. Improper nat setup

I have turned dmz on, disabled every firewall, enabled my ports 2231 to 2213 and vice versa. I am really getting fed up with this. My internet works fine and every time I want to play moo2 I get these stupid error messages. Can someone please help me? Feel free to icq me at 208260934 or contact me on aol on my sn which is statz08...To say again, I know netgear is famously bad for kali and thats why I bought my other router to run moo2, because I thought it would handle the packets differently. Am I looking at a new wireless gateway or what? I looked at the vigor 2200 wireless gateway. Please someone help!

Thanks,
statz

PK

Postby PK » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:26 am

Hi statz ... I am really sorry u have such a big problems with kali. I admire your efforts to make everything work. Lets not loose hope yet. Here are my ideas.

U connected other router to internet and kali didnt work. It may be routers fault but I think - or better I guess that it can be a problem with ISP. Does ur ISP filters data which is coming for u? Some companies do this to keep users - mostly lan users in local networks - safe from hackers. If somewhere exists other main router which controls data traffic to u in restricted way - u will have always problem with kali.

But maybe I am wrong and u have a clear line. U said u turned off firewalls etc. But router is a router. Maybe u can turn on modem to isp and use it for internet? Normal modems dont have nat and other complicated stuff. If modem will fail with kali it means its not ur fault but ISP problem. I mean just to test.

We talked about Vigor router. I would be carefull with new shooping cos u already have 2nd router which is not working. I advice to check if line is clear. Ur ISP will inform it about it if u call technical service.

The bad messages:
"Firewall test failed" - it means nothing really. On my vigor 2500 and on zonelabs at home I got same message as u. I have no idea why I got this message. U can turn it off. Just ignore it.

"improper nat setup" - this one is very serious. Kali have some Nat options which can be controlled from: kali menu ->setttings -> NAT . There u can change nat port and "enable special nat". Feel free to change it and test. Ports 2213 and 2231 can be changed anytime u WANT.

"I have turned dmz on, disabled every firewall, enabled my ports 2231 to 2213 and vice versa"

To turn on dmz u have to pick ur PC in local lan. If this pc has dynamic local ip dmz may not work. Disabled firewall is ok - however not the firewall is the problem but router settings or its capability to handle udp data and nat properly. Enabling ports is ok but not enough. U should do a forwarding from public to local. I assume u did that already. I had to turn on one small option - enable udp packets to pass.

I hope I helped :)
PK

wohlstadter

Postby wohlstadter » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:39 am

Well I just called up my isp tech support and they told me that I should exchange my router for a linksys since netgear is really bad on kali. I think I am going to do that here soon.

Are there any issues with linksys routers on kali?

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:48 pm

Well I just called up my isp tech support and they told me that I should exchange my router for a linksys since netgear is really bad on kali. I think I am going to do that here soon.

Are there any issues with linksys routers on kali?
I'm not aware of any problems with any new model netgear or Linksys router. From the errors you are getting, I suspect there is something other than your router at work here.

First of all. Kali does not like multiple firewalls. One firewall is enough. The router has one and it is turned on most likely. If you have any on the computer they should be turned off. That includes the windows built-in firewall and any included with your ISP's software or any internet security product you have (like Norton Internet Security). Sometimes you can get away with multiple firewalls but you must open the kali port in all firewalls.

Secondly. Kali does not like a multiple NAT setup. The router has NAT enabled likely. If you have any other NAT enabled it must be turned off. This includes the internet connection sharing that is built into windows (it is off by default).

If you have 2 routers then chances are you have NAT and a firewall enabled on both. Some people do not even realize that they have 2 routers as sometimes their DSL box has a router built-in it (westel combo DSL/router is an example). Sometimes you dont have any control over the environment you are in for example when you are in a dorm room and there is an ethernet jack in the wall. If you connect your own wireless router to that jack you will have problems as the dorm has a router and so do you (both likely have NAT and a firewall enabled).

It is important that only one NAT is enabled. You must turn off all but one of each.

Thirdly. Some routers do not handle UDP packets very well through NAT. What happens when you have one of these poorly behaving routers is that you will be able to open KALI without error but you will be appearing and disappearing from the chat channel. This instablility also prevents you from playing often.

From the description of the errors you have I suspect you have something wrong with my first or second points.

To eliminate any firewall problems and NAT problems some routers allow special configurations like bridging and a DMZ. Many people have success with the DMZ. Bridging is even better but it will essentially prevent you from connecting more than one computer to your internet connection (good if you have only one computer and want to use it wirelessly).

I know that there are many people using routers. Myself I use a cisco router and the setup was pretty complex (It probably wont help anyone if I post my setup here as you dont find these at your typical computer shop)

Maybe we can compile a list of routers and what the owner needed to do to make it work with kali/moo2. I'll ask around.
Last edited by Lord Brazen on Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wohlstadter

Postby wohlstadter » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:58 pm

I emailed jay a couple days ago and he said he had a lot of problems with netgear routers for kali. Btw on my netgear router there is no option to turn off nat.

wohlstadter

Postby wohlstadter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:40 pm

Just got my new linksys wireless gateway router and my kali works now!!!

Man..I've wanted to play moo2 online so much...

It was the router in the end..Make sure you inform people and I will try that netgear routers for kali are BAD.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:39 pm

I recommend Robotics. Sureconnect adsl router here- no problems at all. I just installed it and that was all . No Kali configuration was needed :)

ikar

Problems with KALI via VPN connection

Postby ikar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:48 pm

What should I do with connection settings if I have Internet connection througth VPN-server?

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:41 pm

uff VPN. :?

So u r connectet to another network and that network that u r connectet to, has an internet connection.
I guess u r going online through that other network.

Is possible that u going directly online without gettin access to that VPN-Server ?

If not u should go on kali to flie->settings->NAT/PROXY.

I´m not sure, but I guess u need to figure the proxy settings or so.

But u should enable "NAT related messages" and post them here !

Next time u start kali u´ll get somthin like that.

Code: Select all

*** Your local address appears to be 192.168.0.105:2213 *** Opening NAT broadcast socket on interface: 192.168.0.105:2231 *** Your internet address appears to be 87.122.207.157:2213 *** Redirecting internet address 87.122.207.157:2213 to local address 192.168.0.105:2213 (0).
POST IT !

What problem do u have right now ?

Return to “Internet games”