How do I play online?

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.
Gondor
How do I play online?

Postby Gondor » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:50 pm

I am interested in playing MOO over the net... have no idea where to go for that. I use to play... years ago... on TEN... if anyone remembers TEN. Don't recognize any of the handles, so probably no one here knows me. I am severely out of practice, but I imagine it will come back quickly enough...

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 am

Hi,

Nice to meet you.
Game is played via Dosbox. Dosbox is dos emulator, which allows to launch dos (bugfree) version of the game on any type of OS. Here is the setup guide for Dosbox:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... guide.html

People gather on IRC channel #moo2 (net name - quakenet) to set up for games.

Lately the VDC mod has been played mostly, which changes the game completely. You might want to study it before you start to play:
viewtopic.php?t=613

Unfortunately, there is no strategy guide for VDC atm, but in strategy section of this forum you can find couple of posts, which cover some strategy aspects, including unification race strategy.

Regards,
IR

Gondor

Postby Gondor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:19 am

I recently repurchased the game from gog... Comes with doable already setup... Any ideas as to rather it is already setup for online play?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 pm

I am not sure about gog setup, so can't tell. All you need is working game. Then patch it and install dosbox. Dosbox setup is easy as child's play - just put the path to your game and write down the command line in dosbox.conf file.
The only trick is that patching for win 7 can be done only after the dosbox is installed.

Gondor

Postby Gondor » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:53 pm

One last question... and it is sad that I have to ask this... but how do I use IRC... went to the site, but not certain what to do from there...

And while I am asking questions... does Bruce... aka Cybersaber... still play?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:23 pm

One last question... and it is sad that I have to ask this... but how do I use IRC... went to the site, but not certain what to do from there...
Use any IRC client you like. Most common is firefox extension - chatzilla; others include: mIRC, KVIrc or Miranda...
And while I am asking questions... does Bruce... aka Cybersaber... still play?
Yes, but he's been busy lately with his new project, so took a short break.

shpeka

Postby shpeka » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:18 am

The GOG version uses a built-in DOSBox loader.

You can customize it yourself, or use the newest DOSBox version and start it from there.

It seemed pretty straight forward to me, but then again - I am old enough to feel at home when using DOS. :oops:

Return to “Internet games”