Generating MOO2 activity

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.
Gusset
Generating MOO2 activity

Postby Gusset » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:06 pm

Over the past year or so, there have been a number of new players, as well as returning players, and that's great. I think it would be cool if we could do something to encourage this trend to continue.

Can the ladder be used to help?

Right now, my perception is that we have about 8 fairly consistent ladder players. Bringing the ladder over to LB's site for his administration and coding skills is a very good thing. Since we're in a minor sort of transition phase, would it be a good idea to do something to encourage activity by players who are either new or more casual in their interest?

What is the point of any new ladder code, or modifications to existing code, if all it does is slightly change the landscape for a small, select group of players who have played for so long that newer or more casual players have little chance of cracking the top 10? If all it does is maintain the status quo for those who have a lock on the top 5-10 spots, I would say that there isn't any point at all.

For purposes of starting a brainstorm or other discussion, I throw out two possibilities.

1: Start a second ladder, and somehow limit it to a more casual player base.

I don't know what the "rules" of said ladder would be. I have a perception that more casual and/or newer players might play ladder games more often if they thought there was a point. However, right now, there probably really isn't one for those players who have not obsessed over the game like some of us have.

2: Make some sort of allowance for ladder matches on one existing ladder that level the playing field a bit, similar to a golf or bowling handicap. In other words, if there is a perceived disparity between opponents beyond a certain point, some sort of game setting or condition is used to help level the playing field. Possibilities might include some method of limiting or granting extra race picks, or forcing a certain race pick on the higher level player. Perhaps it would be a negotiable thing decided upon by the players involved, with or without a set of community agreed upon guidelines, or maybe there would be a requirement.

Some players might find this offensive, who knows.

What are people's thoughts?

Better yet, if you do not play many Kali MOO2 ladder games, yet you do play 1v1 games outside the ladder semi-regularly, what would make you more inclined to participate?

-Gusset

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:48 am

I think a 2nd ladder isn´t needed, cos this one we have is good even for newbies.

It´s maybe a bit better for motivation to make a 2nd ladder or so.
But I think, someone who really want to play, can live with that fact that he lose in beginning. That´s not a shame or so. We all lost games in beginning, more or less, of our ladder-career.

That what we want to fix is, is to change "k-value" in ladder-elo system.

K-value is now 15, or so.

It´s the max value, how many elo points change.

The idea is to set that value higher, so that a low score guy can gain more point if he beats a high score player.

siron

Postby siron » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:42 pm

new ladder for new players no good idea IMHO. difficult to keep it alive in the long run.

What about a tournament? I would prefer such thing when there is some feedback.

I also thought about the anniversary next year. 10 years moo.

A ship battle contest. Seems even attractive for new players....(cause the prod race procedures are ignored there.)

some restrictions like:

fleet with 10 command points.
you can choose 10 racepicks (shipattack, tele, cybernetic...)
You can invest 10 k RPs for your ship design.

Sth else.....this was just a bit brainstormning.....

Some referees build the saves.

Participants can even choose if they believe in AI and choose autocombat....or they give some basic strategies how their ships should fight........

or online fights of these ships..........online ----> kali.

Well.....9th anniversary could also be an option ;)....with 9 command points......etc.....

siron.......

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:49 pm

What about a tournament?
A tournament would be a nice thing.
I would support such an idea.
fleet with 10 command points.
you can choose 10 racepicks (shipattack, tele, cybernetic...)
You can invest 10 k RPs for your ship design.
This is a interesting idea, and it can be done fast.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:33 am

I had just this idea.

Mebbe following rule for new players in our current ladder (against veterans)

The new player is allowed to determine the settings completely!

I mean....as a vet I could propose some bans (fe. tol where a URng could cause trouble for me) and could define 25 restart rulez (so the new player will never have a fantastic start against me.) so I am absolutely sure I would win 99.99% of these games when I would play seriously.

If it is really one of the first games for the newcomer it should be an option that he has some ban(s) for the veteran.

Return to “Internet games”