saved games?

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.
martock
saved games?

Postby martock » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:20 pm

Is there a way to load a game with Kali? My friend and I were trying to do this but could not figure out how to get it to work. We both saved the game and then exited out. I restarted the game from Kali and chose to load a game and picked that game. When my friend tried to join, he could not find the game. Can you load a saved game in Kali?

Since both PC's were in the same room, I did after the first failure, copy the exact save file over to his PC and still no luck.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:46 pm

Do same as u ll do a new game. Only thing is the host has to click Network->LoadGame, instead of Start new game. Only the host need the saved file.

New Games work with u both ? And only saved games dont work ?

martock

Postby martock » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:36 pm

Sadly, that's exactly what I did to the first time as that seemed the thing to do. The problem is, when he attempts to join the game, it can't the game.

New games work on both but just not saved games. :(

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:50 pm

New games work on both but just not saved games.
Very strange, I never heard about such a problem. I have no clue y new games work, while saved ones not work
:?

ralph

Postby ralph » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:47 pm

Same exact problem here.

My m8 can find the game, but it seems to hang up on the screen where the host is suppose to click on "Start net game" button.

The button never becomes clickable.

ralph

Postby ralph » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:49 am

Ok, answered my own question (and perhaps yours as well martock.)

How this problem can happen...

If two people are playing and one quits before the game is saved however the game is saved before another turn is taken by the remaining player, the game remains a multiplayer game from a file perspective (it will let you attempt to load it as a multiplayer game) however, it is in reality a single player game (since it was saved when only one human player was involved).

If two people are playing and one quits then the remaining player goes ahead one turn, then saves, the game will be saved as a single player game (again, you will not be able to play it with your buddy, but at least the game tells you why in this case).

My problem was that my friend went to bed, i told him i was going to examine my planets for a bit before going to bed. After examining them, and fixing a few things, i saved the game (never went to the next turn cuz that would be cheating :-p )

Lesson learned.

siron

Postby siron » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:17 pm

But the player who quits has a proper MP-Save in this case.

And even when he loses it: It is not so difficult to fix a "broken" MP-Save (but you have to accept that one turn was played by the AI, which can pretty hurt ---> silly research decisions).

Just take a hex editor and change the following entries in the save:

2D: 0 is singleplayer, 1 is hotseat, 2 is network.

Here are the important addresses for the first 4 Players:
1AA36
1B8df
1C788
1D631
when the player is AI the value is between 0-8 or so. 64 means human player.

Return to “Internet games”