StarLeague Rule TECHTRADING

How-to and support discussion for game play over internet.

What do u wanna have as default ? Techtrading ...

... allowed !
77%
... not allowed !
23%

Total votes: 13

siron

Postby siron » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:08 am

I have read a bit on GalCiv2 boards.
They have the same problem in SP that techtrading has the usual exploits. They will add a notechtrade option in the 1.1 patch. I saw some nice proposals on their discussion boards.

How about allowing techtrade...but:
Each diplomatic proposal costs some BC? (A poster claimed that HOI has similar solution...but I dont know that game.)

The drawback is that you have to be sure that noone uses teamspeak for their deals...and no chat about these deals between the turns.

Time

Postby Time » Sat May 12, 2007 9:15 pm

Limit: No more than 1 tech traded per turn.

Of course, you might see more fuedal or uncreative race picks in the game, if one knows he has a partner who will give tech to him.

Not sure, how anyone would limit or monitor these, except, afterwards as a saved game.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:05 am

I Think tech trade should be allowed, but restricted.

Here are some ideas for tech trade restrictions:

1. Rule:
Tech trade is only allowed after Round xx (for example after round 60)

This prevents early meeting players to boost their start with techtrading early techs.

2. Rule: A Player may only trade one (1) Tech at turns, which can be divided by xx (if you set this value to 20, there is only one (1) trade allowed at turn 60, turn 80, turn 100 etc.)

This prevents too much tech trade and forces players to trade more carefully. They have to choose wisely what and to whom they shall trade their techs.

3. Rule: The maximum Number of technologies a player is allowed to trade is XX * the number of systems he controls with Colonies. (For example set this value to 1, then a player with 4 Systems ist allowed to trade 4 techs at max).

4. Rule: Tech exchange is only allowed between players, who already have a profitable technology treaty (a treaty which already gives FP/Round)

These Rules are just ideas, hoiw to restrict tech trades, maybe one or more of these rules can help to prevent abuse of trading.

P.S.: I remember a situation in a Game where tech trading were not allowed at all, where 2 players (who only knew each other at early State of the Game) made a treaty not to use defensive spies, so that the other player were able to steal all techs. They places all spies at each other and "traded" all techs whis way.

This Kind of abuse should be prevented with this rule:

Players are not allowed to place more spies at any other player than they have defensive spies.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 am

If the game setting is FFA tech trade is imbalanced. It puts some players, who make profitable deal at advantage and the player(s), who can't make trade at disadvantage. Hence tech trade was excluded from such setting. But in allied games, e.g. 2 v 2, trade is commonly allowed.

Return to “Internet games”