oneway communication?

Discussion of how to play Master of Orion II over a LAN.
nireus
oneway communication?

Postby nireus » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:42 am

hihi
i tried to build an orion lan at home and with your help i finally managed to get no comm failure in the dos version under xp pro
but first there was still no communication at all untill i had the idea to deactivate the laptop's wlan adapter (i'm connected with cable)... i guess this ancient program does not know the existance of multiple network adapters and took the wrong one
but now it seems that there is only communication in one direction: i have 2 computers; the mentioned laptop and a desktop. if i start a langame on the desktop the game will be displayed on the laptop but when i join it there the desktop does not learn about that and still tells me about only '1 player has joined the game'...
if i start a game with the laptop as host, it won't even be displayed in the available games screen on the desktop...
what is this?? what have i done? has it something to do with this wlan adapter? i'm out of ideas - please help me
thx, nireus

btw, i have another problem, but it's not serious; i usually start my laptop from hibernate but then moo has graphic errors; i can't see anything - there is just chaos on the screen
when i restart the laptop everything is ok...
this problem only shows up with the dos version and only on the laptop

PK

Postby PK » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:32 am

Are you sure both computers see eachother in local lan? Do ipx/spx and tcpip are installed?
PK

OWeasel

MOO2 LAN Desktop/Laptop

Postby OWeasel » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:08 am

Yo there,
I have exactly the same Problem: Desktop + Laptop (both xp) over LAN: The Laptop sees the started Game on the Desktop but when it tries to join I get "Game full, or nonexistent". The Desktop does not see the Laptops games at all.
Normal LAN communication works pefekt. Network in other games (cs for example) works with the machines...
So long,
OWeasel

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:00 am

... u shutdown all firewalls ?
Maybe some Windows patch disable dos communication ... ?!

OWeasel

Postby OWeasel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:55 am

Moin NRW ];-)>
As said before, firewalls are down, OTHER network communication besides moo2 works normal. Other games work normal. It is, perhaps, some problem with the IPX protocoll, since most "modern" games use TCP/IP and moo2 IPX. But since I have IPX installed, and the laptop has also, I can't figure out the problem...
Thomas

Return to “LAN games”