nw16 and vwipxspx

Discussion of how to play Master of Orion II over a LAN.
Shadowlord
nw16 and vwipxspx

Postby Shadowlord » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:07 am

http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... ws-xp.html gives instructions for getting multiplayer to work on a LAN by adding calls to nw16 an vwipxspx into the autoexec.nt used for MOO2. However, there is no nw16 or vwipxspx on this computer anywhere - presumably it isn't included with XP Home, which is what I have.

A few months back, while trying to get MOO2 LAN play to work, I downloaded and installed the Novell Client (Product Name: "Novell Client 4.90 SP2", Version: "4.90.2.20040617") to get DOS IPX drivers, and it didn't install those files either. However, it DID install a vipx.exe... Which appears to do the same thing. I think.

I still haven't gotten a game of it to actually work, but if I have vipx loading in the autoexec.nt used by MOO2, it isn't giving the COMM ERROR (or COMMS, whatever it was) anymore. The last time I tried starting a multiplayer game of MOO2 while that worked, I got black screens, and I don't remember much beyond that.

I'm going to try again soon at any rate, since I haven't tried in months. I also just installed Kali and signed up for that, and will try through there too.

Edit:
So far the friend I'm testing with is unable to even see the game that I'm hosting with Kali, when he isn't crashing... He's on XP Pro.

We're even both on the same Hamachi network, hoping that the communications would go through that so it doesn't have to deal with port forwarding crap. (Kali freaked out when I changed one of the ports it uses O_o)

We also tried doing a LAN game with the normal DOS IPX stuff - He was using the stuff outlined in the post I mentioned before, I was using vipx.exe from the Novell NetWare Client, since I didn't have the other stuff. He couldn't see any MOO2 games that I hosted. Hm.
Last edited by Shadowlord on Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PK

Postby PK » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:01 pm

Orion 95 in order to work in lan needs a ipx/spx protocol installed in connection properties. Default avaliable ipx is ok for it and no other is needed i think. Dos is different. Black screens occurs when service pack 2 bug crashes the game.
PK

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: nw16 and vwipxspx

Postby Lord Brazen » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:33 pm

However, there is no nw16 or vwipxspx on this computer anywhere - presumably it isn't included with XP Home, which is what I have.
Yes, nw16 and vwipxspx are only part of XP Pro. XP Home only has limited IPX/SPX support (I'm assuming you have setup all the frame types etc. in the Novell client...)
I downloaded and installed the Novell Client (Product Name: "Novell Client 4.90 SP2", Version: "4.90.2.20040617") to get DOS IPX drivers, and it didn't install those files either. However, it DID install a vipx.exe... Which appears to do the same thing. I think.
Yes, it is Novell's client which should work also (although I haven't tried it myself). If you used the 1.40 patch and created a desktop icon, you may get it to work if you just add the vipx.exe to the autoexec2.nt.

If you can't get things to work from within windows XP, you could always try a DOS boot floppy with IPX support. Just boot from the floppy, accept all the defaults on the IPX config screens and then run orion2 off your HDD (assuming its FAT32 and not NTFS). This does work for sure. I've used it many times on multiple machines.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

Return to “LAN games”