Help - Hamachi play between Vista and XP (orion95)

Discussion of how to play Master of Orion II over a LAN.
Zoltrioundz
Help - Hamachi play between Vista and XP (orion95)

Postby Zoltrioundz » Sat May 16, 2009 4:35 am

My friends and I want to play MoO2 across Hamachi. We have 2 Vista systems and a EEE pc (running XP) Due to Dosbox lagging in full screen on Vista on network play, and the EEE pc not being playable using DOSBox, we need help getting multiplayer working. The EEE pc is able to host the game with no problems, and we have gotten the Vista computers working for single player with the DPLAY.DLL fix, but whenever we click Join Game, orion95 immediately crashes. We have tried compatibility modes, but we have run out of ideas. If anyone has any ideas, we could really use the help, as we love this game. The only other thought we have that could work is to connect the computers playing on DosBox to the EEE pc playing Orion95. We dont think this is possible, but if it is, please advise.

Thanks!

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Sat May 16, 2009 8:28 am

Orion95 is unplayable due to huge lags even on LAN. So just forget about it.
Due to Dosbox lagging in full screen on Vista on network play
There are players here using Vista and they don't complain about lagging...mebbe you need to do some changes in dosbox.conf file? You should try the dosbox guide or join irc moo2 channel. You will find further help there.
Last edited by Cabman on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

rubbersocks

Postby rubbersocks » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 am

I play it on Vista, it works just fine for me!

keel

Postby keel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 pm

I finally upgraded from XP to 7 (purposely skipped Vista) recently and i can get the game to run perfectly (without DOSBox) with one exception: network play. i go to start a new network game and after i click start game (after setting the game specifics) it shows the "starting up network" (or whatever it says) graphic for a second, then just crashes completely. no error messages or anything. screen just disappears. anyway it kinda sounds like what Zolt is experiencing. Im attempting to use IPXWrapper. any one have any ideas for us to try?
-KEEL

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:34 am

Please consider the following:

- Master of Orion2 was never Programmed to work preperly in Windows-Mode. Even in die manual of the game there is written, that using the orion95.exe will cause problems especially trying to start multiplayer games.

- All bugfixes made and Mods created are done to the Dos-Mode of the Game. I advise to ALWAYS use the Dos-Version of the Game.

Here is a great Guide how to play via DOS-Box:

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... guide.html

If you play the Game via DOS-Box I warmly advise to use the newest MOD as well, it increases the balance and stability very well:

viewtopic.php?t=613

pk-warmoo

Re: Help - Hamachi play between Vista and XP (orion95)

Postby pk-warmoo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 am

I played once with hamachi and it worked even for dosbox or so.
But its not needed as we got our own moo2 server at dopefish :)
Regards,

PK

pk@warmoo.com / http://www.warmoo.com- new WarMoo Mod for Orion!

Return to “LAN games”