Can't find server on lan - xp

Discussion of how to play Master of Orion II over a LAN.
Spartanius
Can't find server on lan - xp

Postby Spartanius » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:16 am

My brother and I recently started playing moo2 again and are trying to get a lan game going because hotseat games take too long.

Originally we both got the comm failure message when trying to start up a lan game, but after doing some research I enabled netbios in my TCP/IP settings which seems to have gotten rid of the comm failure problem.

So now I can start the lan game with a server and it says "1 player has joined" but I can't ever find the server to join it on my other computer. Could it be that we don't have separate IP addresses or did i do something wrong? Both are windows xp and I have the dosbox config file setup like this.

[ipx]
# ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=true

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

MOUNT C C:\mps\orion2
C:
ipxnet startserver
orion2~1

and for the computer thats joining I have ipxnet connect 24.96.36.253 instead of startserver.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:28 pm

and for the computer thats joining I have ipxnet connect 24.96.36.253 instead of startserver.
For LAN game you need a LAN IP of host.
You can find it out by running cmd command ( start>run>cmd) and then type ipconfig.

Spartanius

Postby Spartanius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:12 am

WOW, I can't believe that this whole time I have had the wrong IP address. I got that address by going to one of those "whats my ip" websites...

I've spent over 12 hours of research and testing to get this to work and you solved the problem cabman. Just tested and I have gotten a lan game going. I can never thank you enough and am indebted to you.

Return to “LAN games”